1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

College hockey conference craziness

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Stitch, Jul 9, 2011.

1. cougargirl

cougargirl Active Member

Northern Michigan's trustees voted this morning to move from the CCHA to the WCHA ... which could mean the beginning of the end of the CCHA?

2. Machine Head

Machine Head Well-Known Member

Will make Walt Kyle's program more visible in Minnesota, maybe get more kids to consider NMU.

I remember him from his playing days. Geez, feeling old today..

3. spikechiquet

spikechiquet Well-Known Member

NMU doesn't really recruit in Minny. They usually hit British Columbia, Alberta, and Michigan hard. Not many MN kids go east when you have UM, SCS, UMD, MSU-Mankato, and Bemidji around along with NoDak and Sconnie.

4. Machine Head

Machine Head Well-Known Member

Before I posted I looked at the roster. Couple of Minnesota kid, but you're right, Walt's going to have tough sledding recruiting.

Anders Lee is one Minnesota kid I wish hadn't gone east.

5. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

The Big Ten is not presently in a mood to do much of anything to benefit Notre Dame.
    No, Michigan, Michigan State and Ohio State leaving signals the end of the CCHA.

6. spikechiquet

spikechiquet Well-Known Member

No it doesn't. It may kill Atlantic Hockey though...many of those teams want to have 18 scholarships (Robert Morris, Canicus, Niagara to name a few) and AH only allows 12.
    Bowling Green, Lake State, Alaska and Ferris will still be there, Western may have to settle for the CCHA if they can't get into the NCHC (and that's only if Notre Dame joins there instead of Hockey East, if UND goes to HE, WMU is screwed into staying).
    It would make sense to have Alaska in the WCHA, so they may bolt at some point.
    Plus, Alabama-Huntsville is still around looking for a league as well.
    Will the CCHA be as big of a player? No. Probably not, but it will still be around.

7. cougargirl

cougargirl Active Member

The Denver and Minnesota-Duluth coaches each said as much - the fact that a new conference has emerged gives other programs (ahem, Alabama-Huntsville) and emerging programs a chance to find conference affiliation. My first thought was, oh, the NCHC (aka The National) needs a team to kick around. Then I saw the other angle of those statements. The next question is, what schools can afford to add hockey (in some cases, both mens and womens programs)?

@wicked - BTHC, for now, will only be made up of charter members.

8. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

Minnesota State-Moorhead is looking into starting a DI program. But it's also looking for someone to bankroll it all.

9. ColdCat

ColdCat Well-Known Member

why no talk of Lake State following Northern to the WCHA? Seems like a good chance to finally get all the Yoopers in one happy family.

10. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Because Lake State is still closer to Western, Ferris, and Bowling Green than it is to Duluth, Bemidji and St. Cloud.
    And only Michigan Tech is less relevant in recent history than Lake Inferior. The ghost of Frank Anzalone is fine where it is.

11. cougargirl

cougargirl Active Member

This presser was interesting today. Minn. State-Moorhead says it has about $15 million in "soft" donations and wants to have that endowment at $37 million by the time it decides whether or not to field D-I men's and women's hockey. That decision is expected in three months.

Either someone's going to win the lottery and make a hefty charitable donation ... or there will be one hell of a bake sale in Fargo-Moorhead.

12. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

Moorhead State should get a few bucks out of Concordia and find a way to share the arena because the Cobbers have hockey too.

Draft saved Draft deleted