1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

College hockey conference craziness

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Stitch, Jul 9, 2011.

1. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

I look forward to the potential Fairbanks/Huntsville trips...

2. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

A prime program to help it fetch a better TV contract with NESN, given how its contract expired this past season? Rivalries between a Catholic school and Boston-based schools, including Boston College, which has always been a traditional rival?

On the surface, I would think a private, Catholic school like Notre Dame has far more in common with Hockey East schools than it does with its options out west.

3. spikechiquet

spikechiquet Well-Known Member

Star...you must have missed the memo... six of those teams have a new conference for themselves (announcement upcoming in mere hours actually)...the "leftovers" right now are Western Mich, the Alaska schools, BG and Lake State. Many outlets reporting NMU a done deal to the WCHA...CCHA is going to be the scrap heap in need of 3 spare parts to make an auto-bid league (probably Niagara, Mercyhurst and Ala.-Hunts.). Only 2 if Western Mich. doesn't go to this new league (my guess is it will be called something like MidWest Hockey Association - the MWHA).

4. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

On that front, yes, a slam-dunk.

But the logistics, in a sport which loses money for all but a handful of schools, seem insurmountable.

5. McNuggetsMan

McNuggetsMan Active Member

Notre Dame is opening a new, beautiful hockey-only arena this all. They expect hockey to become a big time sport for them. They aren't going to fill that place trotting in the rejects from the WCHA/CCHA.

6. cougargirl

cougargirl Active Member

The program that Joe Juneau built or the Ratings Percentage Index? :D

7. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Yes to A, yes to B, but only the part that it was Adam Oates.

8. cougargirl

cougargirl Active Member

Actually, I defer that credit to Mike Addesa ... until that whole Graeme Townshend incident.

But without the Ratings Pctg. Index, the Pairwise is rendered inefficient.

9. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

Just last season ...

--Boston College traveled to Denver and Notre Dame.
    --Boston U. traveled to St. Louis.
    --Maine traveled to Michigan State and Estero, Fla.
    --Merrimack traveled to Alabama Huntsville.
    --Northeastern traveled to Notre Dame, Michigan and the Twin Cities.
    --Providence traveled to Minnesota Duluth, Alabama Huntsville and New Brunswick.
    --UMass traveled to Minnesota and Wisconsin.
    --UNH traveled to Miami.
    --Vermont traveled to St. Lawrence.

So nine teams in the conference had at least one significant trip, and five of those had at least two. Only UMass-Lowell didn't stray too far -- Princeton was the furthest it went.

Even with a road trip to Notre Dame, I would think cash-strapped schools could plan for it. Stay close to home in years they visit South Bend and schedule one big trip during years the Irish come to your place. Besides, Hockey East is such a regional conference as it is, it can probably absorb an outlier like Notre Dame and still be OK with budgets.

And if Hockey East gets a much better TV deal from NESN in part because Notre Dame does join, that would only help those schools even more.

10. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

College hockey is not going to become a big-money TV sport.

On ventures like the Big Ten Network, it will be a wintertime schedule-filler around king basketball. It may be a break-even proposition in terms of revenue.

It will remain popular in limited geographic pockets. Only a dozen or so schools draw well enough at the gate to generate substantial ticket revenues.

The schools seeking to play D-I hockey need to form tightly-geographically-based leagues for simple conservation of travel costs.

(The Alaska schools throw this whole idea into a cocked hat, but their aspirations to D-I sports are not the problem of the other 58 (or so) schools in the nation. Whatever leagues they want to join, it should be on the unconditional basis that they assume every shiny dime of travel costs incurred by ANYBODY.)

Notre Dame may have delusions of greater grandeur than playing Western Michigan and Ferris State, but they can't play Michigan every night. Or, of course, they could always join the Big Ten.

I suspect, much to their own surprise, if ND hockey suddenly becomes a headline wintertime gate attraction, it will be largely at the expense of ND basketball.

11. spikechiquet

spikechiquet Well-Known Member

National Collegiate Hockey Conference, The NCHC.

Just rolls off the tongue, eh? *slaps forehead*

12. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

The Big Ten should consider extending a hockey-only invite to Notre Dame (I know, never would happen), or at least work out an interlocking schedule. It'd benefit both parties.

Draft saved Draft deleted