1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

College hockey conference craziness

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Stitch, Jul 9, 2011.

1. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

I wouldn't exactly classify Denver, Colorado College, North Dakota and Minnesota Duluth (the NCAA champ) as "second level" in the WCHA.

2. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

UAH wishes it had such problems to deal with.

3. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Assuming the Big Ten goes ahead with the formation of its own conference, some shakeup was inevitable.

But, yes, Alaska, Mankato, St. Cloud, Bemijidi and others who are D-II (or D-III) for other sports but D-I for hockey should be included. Six teams isn't enough to form a viable league, so the opportunity is there for others. Should not be an invitation only league.

4. dirtybird

dirtybird Well-Known Member

As a Big Ten alum, I can honestly say I loathe the new hockey league. Break up old, good rivalries, no thanks. That said, those places like Mankato, St. Cloud and Houghton are not exactly destinations (had no complaints about Duluth and heard nice things about Grand Forks).

5. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

All leagues are invitation only.

6. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Well, not at Mizzou they don't. :)

7. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

Exactly. On the whole, that "second level" has been far more successful than Minnesota or Wisconsin over the past 5-7 years.

UND and Duluth also just hurt St. Cloud and Mankato (who essentially did nothing to build the brand of the WCHA, but profited from it) in recruiting Minnesota players, even though UND generally has a lot of Canadians as well, given it's proximity to Manitoba, Saskatchewan and Alberta.

8. dirtybird

Far more successful than Wisconsin? The Badgers have four tournament appearances, one title and one runner-up finish in the last seven years. I don't see any of those teams having far more success, or in the case of CC and UMD more success at all.

9. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

North Dakota went to FF in 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, and 2011. It did not win a national title in that span, but it's been consistently a far more successful program than Wisconsin.

Denver won the title in 2004 and 2005.

UMD is NCAA champion.

Wisconsin's last WCHA regular-season championship was in 2000. UND has won four since then, Denver and CC two each outright, and one shared.
    Wisconsin hasn't won a Final Five since 1998, UND and Denver have each won three since then.

10. dirtybird

I'll buy NoDak and Denver. I don't see that as FAR better, but interpret as you will.

Duluth? I thought we were talking about success in the past 5-7 years. I don't see what puts them that high other than the immediacy of the title.

CC has no titles and one final four. FAR more success indeed.

Looking back at the debate, it seems silly to classify these four schools together in any sense. UND and Denver are the class of the sport. CC and UMD are nice programs, but superpowers they are not.

Either way, we are witnessing the death of an excellent hockey conference, and that is unfortunate.

11. Pencil Dick

Pencil Dick Member

Want to win a bar bet with a college hockey fan? Ask him/her who the host institution is for the 2012 Frozen Four at the St. Pete Times Forum.

It's UAHuntsville, the NCAA Division I program that has no current conference affiliation.

Charge On!

12. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Quick. Who was the host program for the 1999 Frozen Four in Anaheim?

Draft saved Draft deleted