1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

College / high school sports enterprise -- Buffalo News

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by JoshBarnett, Jun 21, 2018.

1. JoshBarnett

JoshBarnett Member

The Buffalo News is seeking an aggressive reporter with an ability to uncover and tell great stories to serve as college / high school enterprise writer.

With four Division I schools, multiple smaller colleges and 90 high schools in our market, the ideal candidate will have plenty to do and strong organizational skills are a must. The writer needs to be passionate about storytelling and demonstrate strong news judgment and initiative.

This is not a position to cover games or do previews. We are seeking someone who can do deep profiles, identify trends and issues and uncover topics that engage readers in new ways. School loyalty is fierce in Western New York, but your goal will be to find stories that resonate across larger segments of the audience than the schools and people involved.

Among the key responsibilities and traits:

· Identify stories with high audience potential and reach.

· Collaborate with fellow writers and other colleagues in photo, social media, digital production and excel when working as a team.

· Have a sense of curiosity that informs your reporting in new and unique ways.

· Be comfortable using social media and engaging with readers.

· Write clean, clear and accurate copy.

Despite its Rust Belt reputation, Buffalo is one of the best places in the United States. The city is in the midst of a revitalization, young people are arriving to take new economy jobs and warehouses are being rehabbed into great apartments. (More than 100,000 students attend the region’s 23 colleges and universities.) The city has two professional sports teams, a philharmonic, a growing waterfront, 27 theater companies, a burgeoning medical campus and plenty of attitude. Buffalo also has some of the best summer weather in the world and great summer recreation on our two Great Lakes – Erie and Ontario. Not to mention Niagara Falls, Toronto and ski slopes all within a short drive.

Interested candidates should email a resume, a letter outlining how you will manage your duties and writing samples that show the diversity of your work to Executive Sports Editor Josh Barnett at jbarnett@buffnews.com.

mn67 and Jon Mitchell like this.
  2. MSUgrad

MSUgrad Member

Out with the old, in with the new.

3. JoshBarnett

JoshBarnett Member

After another extensive search, I wanted to let people know that we have hired Rachel Lenzi, formerly of LandofTen.com and the Toledo Blade (among other stops) to fill this position.

We received significant interest and I again want to thank those of you reached out. Also, as I noted previously, I have tried to do my best to respond to everyone who sent me their materials. I apologize if I missed someone; it was not intentional.

We have one more full-time opening and a number of part-time openings to fill.

Jon Mitchell likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted