1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

College golfer botches tournament on purpose

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by JackReacher, May 6, 2010.

1. CentralIllinoisan

CentralIllinoisan Active Member

The conference should write into its rules that the individual qualifier will be the the lowest-scoring player among those NOT on a qualifying team.

Takes it out of the kids' hands.

2. WolvEagle

WolvEagle Well-Known Member

I hope that rule is adopted. It makes perfect sense.

3. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

A true "nice guy" would have carefully thrown it without anyone knowing or anyone ever finding out.

A phony nice guy would do what this kid did.

4. Mystery Meat II

Mystery Meat II Well-Known Member

They both should have kept trying to throw the hole. Golfer A hits the ball into the woods. Golfer B hits into a lake. Golfer A hits deeper into the woods. Golfer B decides to try to play the ball in the lake instead of dropping. Golfer A takes his next shot using a pine cone. Golfer B runs up to Golfer A's ball and tries to drive it to the green for him. Golfer A tackles him. Both start fighting. In the end the both get snowmen and have to go to the next hole. They apologize to each other and hug it out. Then they start trying to throw that hole too. Eventually one of the fans shoots them both in the face, and the next guy down gets the NCAA bid.

And that is why concealed carry permits make America work.

5. House

House Member

The stuff movies are made of? Fuck the golfer, that's awful writing. Shameful.

6. Seahawk

Seahawk Member

If I was a college golfer, and a writer referred to me as kiddo, that would really make me feel insulted.

That writing was pretty crappy.

7. BB Bobcat

BB Bobcat Active Member

I bet if the one kid had said to the other on the tee: "I'm already in. What if I just shank this shot so you can get in?" the guy would have said: "Just play golf."

I agree that it would suck to have this asterisk hanging over your accomplishment, especially because the kid probably thinks he could have won anyway. The other guy essentially robbed him of the chance to win it outright.

8. trifectarich

trifectarich Well-Known Member

Each team generally has five players, so you're OK with the individual qualifier possibly being a player who finishes sixth? That makes no sense.

9. crimsonace

crimsonace Well-Known Member

In Indiana high schools, that's the way they do it ... top three teams, plus the low three individuals on a non-qualifying team, advance.

Keeps these kinds of things from happening.

10. If I were the other golfer, I'd be embarrassed and insulted.

Now, if that other kid had thrown the rest of the round but done so to make it look like it wasn't on purpose and never, ever told anyone, then maybe I'd say he took the moral high ground.

11. Stoney

Stoney Well-Known Member

Because then everyone wouldn't be patting him on the back and writing slobbery columns about him.

12. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

With JC's spelling, maybe. ;)

Draft saved Draft deleted