1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

College golfer botches tournament on purpose

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by JackReacher, May 6, 2010.

1. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

http://sports.yahoo.com/golf/blog/devil_ball_golf/post/When-losing-a-golf-tournament-really-makes-you-a?urn=golf,238912

Pretty cool story. Would you do the same?

2. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

3. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

No. And I sure as hell wouldn't want to win that way, especially in a playoff. The further pussification of America.

4. trifectarich

trifectarich Well-Known Member

He didn't botch or throw the tournament at all. He and his teammates already had secured a spot in the national championship. What he did was give a spot in the national final to the other co-medalist.

5. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

Dude threw the competition for individual medalist. Lost on purpose. Call it what you will.

6. Tarheel316

Tarheel316 Well-Known Member

I agree 100 percent. If I were the other golfer, I wouldn't want the spot.

7. What happened next is the type of stuff movies are made about. :eek:Whybark stood over his tee shot on the first playoff hole, looked down the fairway and back at his ball, and hit it 40 yards right of the fairway, out of bounds by a mile. He made double bogey, Doran made par, and Olivet Nazarene had a man in nationals.

Do ya think the writer built this up a bit more than it was worth? Seriously? OK, it was a nice gesture, but as I'm reading, and I get to that line, then I read what he did, I was a bit let down. Ok, big deal, he did a nice thing. I hope it comes back to bite him in the ass, and the kid he let in beats him in a playoff hole in the finals.

8. Colin Dunlap

Colin Dunlap Member

Goes against what the whole premise of the sport of golf was founded, and then has been advanced, on.
    This is not a "nice thing." This is intentionally skewing the outcome of competition --- something that should never be celebrated.

9. Shoeless Joe

Shoeless Joe Active Member

Was it for a medal spot or just simply the 19th qualifier or whatever?
    If it was for a medal, absolutely no way.
    If it was merely for the qualifying cutoff, I might - might - be willing to withdraw before it got to the tee knowing I was already in. Once it got to the tee and throw it, nope.

10. That would be awesome.

11. Central-KY-Kid

Central-KY-Kid Well-Known Member

Something similar happened in Kentucky earlier this decade at the state track meet.

Louisville St. Xavier's Bobby Curtis, arguably the top boys' runner to come out of Kentucky, had already won the 4x8 relay, 1,600 run and 800 run. He was scheduled to run the 3,200 late in the meet, but having already won 3 individual golds and St. Xavier having the team title locked up, sat out the 3,200 to let a local kid have a shot at it. The local kid had always pushed Curtis in cross country and track and Curtis - who was considered by some to be a prima donna - told the local kid, "You're too good not to be a state champ at least once."

The local kid, had he been in 1-A or 2-A, would have been a state champ several times over, but he just happened to be in 3-A with one of the state's elite.

I thought it was a classy gesture at the time and even though his main competition had been removed, the local kid broke down in tears after finally winning a gold.

12. zebracoy

zebracoy Guest

Why doesn't the kid just putt around the hole and not make it seem so obvious?

Draft saved Draft deleted