1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

College GameDay changes.

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Evil ... Thy name is Orville Redenbacher!!, Jul 12, 2010.

1. Per USA Today...

College GameDay is expanding to a three-hour format. Erin Andrews will host the first hour.
    The expansion also means Chris Fowler is out and will be replaced by Rece Davis.

I have always enjoyed Folwer, I will miss him. I think Davis should do well. He does a pretty good job running things in the studio.

2. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

Re: College GameDay changes... Andrews is in, Fowler is out.

It says Davis is taking over the Thursday night games. I hope Fowler stays on the main set. He's light years better than Davis, who I find to be preening and smug, and who often demonstrates the effects of allowing too much hair gel mix into your brain fluid.

3. ucacm

ucacm Active Member

Why change something that is damn near perfect? This show is one of the few reasons to wake up early on a Saturday.

4. zagoshe

zagoshe Well-Known Member

I don't mind losing Chris Fowler, he is a self-important douche who adds little in terms of actual insight and analysis.

I'm not sure they couldn't have done a lot better than Rece Davis, though, and Erin Andrews??? ::)

5. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

Perfect! The demise of the only watchable show on the WWL comes at the same time of the final demise of my Vols' football fortunes -- so I won't miss a thing when I find something better to do with my time every Saturday morning!

6. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

So, no announcement on Corso? Kinda surprises me that he's coming back (or so it seems). Not that it's his fault, but he was really laboring to get through the telecasts by the end of the year.

7. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

Corso must have put a foam sculpture of Davis' hair on his head ...

8. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

"The hosting stuff is what I'm really looking forward to"

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  9. GuessWho

GuessWho Active Member

ESPN just released the announcement:

July 12, 2010

College GameDay Expands to Three Hours

* ESPNU to Televise First Hour of Expanded Show
    * Erin Andrews Adds College GameDay, Good Morning America to Sideline
    Reporting Role
    * ESPN Radio to Simulcast College GameDay for First Time
    * College GameDay on ESPN Radio to Originate from ESPN's College GameDay Site
    * Chris Fowler and John Saunders Add Weekday Hosting Duties
    * Play-by-play Commentator Rece Davis, Reporter Jenn Brown Added to Thursday
    Night Games

ESPN's two-time Emmy Award winning College GameDay Built by The Home Depot will
    expand to a three-hour format and now be aired from 9 a.m. to noon ET, providing an
    extra hour of college football analysis, news and features every Saturday during the
    season beginning Sept. 4.

ESPNU will televise the new first hour of the popular show -- originating from the
    site of the day's best game or the game with the most compelling storyline -- from 9
    a.m.-10 a.m. From 10 a.m. to noon, GameDay will continue to air on ESPN. The first
    site of the season is yet to be announced. Each location throughout the year will
    generally be determined on the preceding Monday.

The three-hour College GameDay will feature show host Chris Fowler with analysts Lee
    Corso, Kirk Herbstreit and Desmond Howard. Also, Erin Andrews will join the College
    GameDay lineup, anchoring several segments during the first hour on ESPNU, and
    contributing reports, interviews and features during the ESPN portion of the show.

As part of her role, Andrews will also work as the sideline reporter on the game
    from which College GameDay originates from, if the game is on an ESPN network (ESPN,
    ABC, ESPN2, ESPNU, etc.). In addition to her responsibilities across ESPN platforms,
    Andrews will provide select reports on ABC's Good Morning America throughout the
    year.

10. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

So nothing's changed, except Fowler's no longer doing the Thursday night games and Andrews is going to be on-site wherever Game Day is, rather than at the site of ESPN/ABC's primetime game, and also doing anchoring/reporting.

Do I read that right?

11. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

Yep, Fowler sucks. Lost my respect with his blatant shilling for his alma mater, Colorado, in the 2001 BCS debate. Never heard anyone argue so vehemently that a 2-loss team should be in the national championship.

12. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Sounds like it Steak. Headline on this thread is way off. Fowler is not "out," he's dropping Thursdays.

Draft saved Draft deleted