1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

College game-day tabs

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by HejiraHenry, Aug 1, 2007.

1. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

Glad to hear that it worked out.
    How did you manage having two D-Is in your coverage area? Did you go with the team at home, alternate covers for them, do split covers, some kind of zoned cover?
    I'm just curious.
    My understanding is that hell will freeze over before my shop, even though it would make money — new money — would do such a thing.

2. Eagleboy

Eagleboy Guest

I've got to say that I'm excited it ended up working out for you and thrilled that the numbers for the ad revenue were solid. I think something like that is direct proof that when you put effort toward something and can carve out a niche with the readers, it will go over well.

Like you said, 2008 will be better once you not only realize how to improve your management of it, but also when your ad reps are used to the market and the community accepts it as a staple of game day action. Should be even better going forward.

3. sportsnut

sportsnut Member

I got to give credit to the men and women over at Orange County Register who every week during football season writes and produces the paper's high school football broadsheet called OC Varisty. This broadsheet is between 8-16 pages normally full color with some nice pre and post game coverage.

4. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

I have heard of this. Quite impressive.

5. HejiraHenry

On the covers, we did a mix of split covers, solo covers when the other team was off, and a couple of covers that focused primarily on opponents (as when defending national champs came to town). Covers, in particular, are something I want to really press my skills on next fall.

6. shotglass

shotglass Guest

The more I listen to you guys, the more I think I should suggest that we expand ours for next season to become more of an advertising vehicle.

7. HejiraHenry

I'd endorse that notion. For us the revenue covers (if you want to look at it this way) the salary of our agate guy plus most of our SEC season travel.

Draft saved Draft deleted