1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

College for Journalism Degree

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by NewsRegisterReporter, Feb 28, 2008.

1. vanderbilt has neither a j-school nor journalism classes.

2. zebracoy

zebracoy Guest

Just pick a decent academic public university with a big-time basketball or football program. You'll learn more on press row/in the press box than you ever will in class.

3. ServeItUp

ServeItUp Active Member

Don't go to J-school. Get a degree in something that interests you from a school with big-time athletics and make damned sure you're at the student daily by spring of your freshman year. By your sophomore year they should know you at the local daily from your experience answering phones on Friday nights or typing in swimming agate for peanuts (better get used to that, too).

I say big-time athletics because if you want to cover sports you need to be in a competitive situation. You need to be in an environment where you're hustling for stories with pros breathing down your neck while negotiating the Kremlin-like SID situation (I know, I know, that's not always the case but it IS the case often enough to be prepared for it). You will NOT learn that in the classroom, only by doing it.

And you can do it at any of the NCAA's Division I institutions (much respect to Plaschke and others who went the NAIA, D-II or D-III route). Good luck.

4. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

A page and a half and not one mention of the Grady College at Georgia? Where my Dogs at?

5. Small Town Guy

Small Town Guy Well-Known Member

Well, if you really want the affordable part, there's always JUCOs for two years. Get the generals, and real-life experience. I got to work 20 hours a week at a good daily in town, before heading off to the land of college debt.

6. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

there's thousands of kids coming out of the mizzou's of the world that can't get a look, too.

7. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Michigan terminated its undergraduate journalism program in the mid-70s, because the faculty felt the field of print journalism was becoming a dead end, and the journalism degree itself was of "marginal academic credibility."

8. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

Michigan seems like it was prophetic in some ways . . . . . .

I'll echo those who say journalism school isn't as important as being on your student daily. This may be an inherent flaw in some J-schools, where the student paper is a course that must be taken, not a place where people can find out if they have what it takes to be a journalist. I have to think a quality kid or two falls through the cracks. Of course, I also have to acknowledge that the J-schools who demand a higher standard in the classroom overall feel that they;re producing better-rounded people. Maybe they're right. My personal experience at a quality (but not upper tier) J-school already mentioned in this thread, where you only had to have a 2.2 GPA to get in and stay in (!) indicates that grades are not an important part of the journalism package.

Still, let's be honest here: the quality schools, in all majors, have a reputation for a reason. Some want to join that club and become part of that reputation, others want to simply gravy train off it and wonder why their piece of paper from cool J-school that Mommy and daddy paid for isn't getting them a job.

As is always said in these threads, everyone is different. I wanted to go to a school with big-time athletics, away from home, with a good soccer team (shaddup!) to cover and carve a niche that way. Others (like a gentleman I used to work with who now is a college professor) may seek a good J-school with a quality football program to cover. Bill Plaschke went to SIU-Edwardsville. Michael Wilbon went to Nortwestern. I don't remember where T.J. Simers went. Wright Thompson and friends went to Missouri.

A million different approaches, none of which guarantee a damn thing. Everyone has to do what's best for themselves, the better to move forward with few regrets.

The only undeniable fact is that wherever you go, you must get involved with campus media, or your only learning will be in th classroom.

9. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

soccer?

10. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

Shaddup!

Hey . . . .we all have our passions. And I said to myself, "Petey Pureheart, this is your favorite sport, there are many stories to tell, you can be at the forefront of covering its emergence. This is what you want to establish yourself covering as a professional."

It worked for me. A side benefit is that I didn't get lost in the shuffle of every 19-year-old thinking they're destined to be NBA/NFL/MLB beat writers someday.

And many wait a long time for those opportunities, which never happen.

11. zebracoy

zebracoy Guest

You know, I admire that. I have a good friend who's also a reporter who did the same thing with hockey, and he's living large right now as well.

If only I didn't play such mainstream sports growing up, maybe I wouldn't have taken such a strong liking to them. Then again, I don't know that there are many squash writers...

12. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

If you don't have a writing outlet in college, J-degree or not, you're cheating yourself. Sure, good j-schools frequently equal schools with good newspapers, but on the flip side good newspapers can come from many schools, not all of which play D-1 football in front of 70,000 every weekend.

Here's the winners of the 2007 Pacemaker, the college equivalent of the APSEs:

Loyolan
    Loyola Marymount University
    Los Angeles, Calif.

The El Don
    Santa Ana College
    Santa Ana, Calif.

Criterion
    Mesa State College
    Grand Junction, Colo.

The Columbia Chronicle
    Columbia College
    Chicago, Ill.

Chicago Maroon
    University of Chicago
    Chicago, Ill.

Courier
    College of Dupage
    Glen Ellyn, Ill.

Washburn Review
    Washburn University of Topeka
    Topeka, Kan.

The News-Letter
    Johns Hopkins University
    Baltimore, Md.

The Harvard Crimson
    Harvard University
    Cambridge, Mass.

The Tech
    Massachusetts Institute of Technology
    Cambridge, Mass.

The Maneater
    University of Missouri
    Columbia, Mo.

Daily Nebraskan
    University of Nebraska
    Lincoln, Neb.

The Daily Pennsylvanian
    University of Pennsylvania
    Philadelphia, Pa.

The Tartan
    Carnegie Mellon University
    Pittsburgh, Pa.

Loquitur
    Cabrini College
    Radnor, Pa.

Richland Chronicle
    Richland College
    Dallas, Texas

San Jacinto Times
    San Jacinto College
    Pasadena, Texas

Collegiate Times
    Virginia Tech
    Blacksburg, Va.

The Flat Hat
    College of William and Mary
    Williamsburg, Va.

The Clarion
    Madison Area Technical College
    Madison, Wis.

The Badger Herald
    University of Wisconsin
    Madison, Wis.

I'm sure the entries from my beloved Indiana Daily Student got lost in the mail this year :)

Draft saved Draft deleted