1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

College Football Writers needed for the entire season

Discussion in 'Freelance/stringer help wanted' started by mikecoppinger, Jul 15, 2011.

1. mikecoppinger

mikecoppinger New Member

Hi all,

I'm looking for college football writers for our web site, nationalunderclassmen.com

We are one of the largest high school football combines in the country and are looking for writers to cover a specific conference for the 2011 season.

A writer is needed for each of seven conferences:

Big East
    Mountain West
    SEC
    Big 10
    Big 12
    Pac 12
    Conference USA

We're looking for around 10 stories per week during the football season -- features on top players, games of the week and to cover a game if there is a big one in your area that weekend.

The rate would be $1,000 for the season and then if you were good you would be hired for the spring as well, if you so choose.

If interested, send 5 clips, a cover letter and resume to:

mikecoppinger@gmail.com

Thanks,

Mike

2. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Just doing the math ...

10 stories per week x 14 weeks of the season = 140 stories (and that's assuming they don't want preseason and postseason stories)

That comes out to about $7.14 per story.

Wow.

3. mikecoppinger

mikecoppinger New Member

There's no minimum of 10, but we're looking for coverage of each conference. 10 is a rough number...

4. dkphxf

dkphxf Member

Let's say you cut your expectations in half -- five stories a week. That's still $14 per story. Still pretty shitty, man.

5. Shaggy

Shaggy Guest

On top of that, if one of the stories is a game story, you're looking at 5 hours of work for $7.14. I don't even want to calculate the hourly rate.

Look, it's a free market, and a desperate guy might say yes. It's only fair that it gets broken down this way, though.

6. mikecoppinger

mikecoppinger New Member

Let me rephrase...we're also not looking for all the stories to be long-winded features...and this probably isn't meant for someone with a ton of experience, but more so for a young writer trying to generate clips and exposure...

I agree, it is only fair, Shaggy...

So again, maybe meant more for a younger writer...I don't make the rates.

7. Writers Block

Writers Block New Member

Mike, that is what you should have said from the beginning. But you were hoping some veterans proven journalists would jump for this shit. Dude ask for college students who are willing to work like slaves for nothing. This is why this business is really beginning to make me sick to the stomach.

8. pressmurphy

pressmurphy Member

I don't think every start-up needs a business plan crafted over a three-year period by a cadre of Wharton School grads, but I do insist that solicitations don't like like they came out of a CrackerJack box.

Even assuming a bunch of 400-word knockoffs written largely with the help of school and conference press releases plus one gamer a week, you're looking at absolutely no better than $7-8 an hour.

No one with any semblance of pride will give this a sniff.

You guys need to go back to Square 1 and rethink your business model.

9. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Considering all the "write free for my blog!" offers we get on this board (and try to delete quickly), it's at least nice to see "$1,000" in a listing. But yes, always do the math for yourself. And if you do take the gig, insist on getting paid regularly, not at the end of the year.

10. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

Absolutely do the math. 10 stories a week times 14 weeks = 140 stories. That's about $7 a story. If they're the sort of stories you can do in 15 minutes, maybe not so bad. I'd be interested to know what constitutes a story though.

11. Shawnkrest

Shawnkrest New Member

If it's something an experienced writer could add to an existing beat, it would seem to be worthwhile. You're really only adding the writing time in that case. If you can bang out a few profiles on players you've already spoken to for your beat work and come up with a second angle on a game story, it's no effort at all. I've done similar type gigs in the past and applied for this one with the same plan in mind.

12. mikecoppinger

mikecoppinger New Member

Yes, it will certainly be the type of stories you could quickly write...the writer will have the freedom to choose whichever stories he or she sees fit...

Thanks again everyone for the applications. Going over all of them now and will get back to each and everyone ASAP.

Draft saved Draft deleted