1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

College Football Writer - Oklahoman/NewsOK

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Moderator1, Feb 26, 2014.

1. DeskMonkey1

DeskMonkey1 Active Member

In the nearly four years at my current shop, mine has not once looked to hire from within because he doesn't want to essentially make two hires. I have been told directly that as long as he was there I would not be moving up, down or sideways - even in news, advertising, etc. - unless I leave the company completely.

2. Gold

Gold Active Member

This observation is right on target. I know in the federal government many managers do not promote from within for exactly that reason - they don't want to have to hire two people.

3. Matt Stephens

Matt Stephens Well-Known Member

Great motivation to stick around somewhere.

4. DeskMonkey1

Hell, how about a not-quite-young but still not old editor? :)

5. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

That is the silliest, stupidest argument I have ever heard against hiring from within.

You're really hiring only one new person, and a lower-level and cheaper one at that: the new person to replace the promoted person.

6. DeskMonkey1

Tell that to my boss

7. Gold

Gold Active Member

I didn't say that not hiring from within is a good idea. I'm saying that it happens that way because of managers take an easy way out.

8. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Yeah, once you've been passed over for a spot, it's tough to hang around unless you really, really like the place and your beat/duties. If you get a new editor and he wants to shuffle the deck and reassign duties, it can make things even more dicey.

9. Branwilken

Branwilken New Member

Yup, this is exactly who I was talking about. Kyle is an incredible reporter, and he's going to do some great things on this beat.

10. Matt Stephens

Matt Stephens Well-Known Member

And he's a Fort Collins kid, so you really can't go wrong.
    Kyle did great work at the O'Colly and has done well on the news side in OKC. He'll crush it.

Draft saved Draft deleted