1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

College football writer gives up Heisman vote

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Alma, Apr 8, 2013.

1. Tom Petty

Tom Petty New Member

bullshit. i never insinuated that you hated print j.

2. Norrin Radd

Norrin Radd New Member

Not you, Tom. Or SockPuppet.

For some, it's become a standard response when I waste time trying to discuss the current state of journalism wade into these topics. So I try not to bother.

On this one, let's just agree to disagree.

3. Tom Petty

Tom Petty New Member

it's all good ... i just was enjoying the discussion.

4. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

I'm on Tom Petty's side here. Readers have proven over and over that they do care, that they do view those journalists whom they read regularly as valued voices. Look at Twitter followers. Look at hits on columns about Heisman picks. Look at comments on those stories, many (certainly not all, and perhaps not even most, but many) of which show the readers have read the columns.

They want us to be relevant. Giving away votes on things such as this over some moral quandary is a good way to drive them away.

5. Tom Petty

Tom Petty New Member

shit, i give two shits on how guys here roll with their MLB HOF voting. i find the hows and whys terribly interesting.

6. Tom Petty

Tom Petty New Member

until the assholes start piling on with "how i would have voted" or "how you should have voted" for no damn good reason.

7. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

O.J. still has a vote!

And, they're not being transparent enough -- as opposed to say, the NCAA, the College Football Hall of Fame, and practically every major football program.

One more thing about transparency, why do most writers only tell us what insufferable pricks various coaches and stars are once they're no longer in a position of power/authority?

8. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

As anecdotal story, I was curious as to who the trustees were and much to my surprise a name popped up from my youth. Said person would not know a football if it them in the lip and would be analogous to Bluto Blutarsky becoming a Senator. A classic case of not what you know but who you know.

9. Mahoney

Mahoney Member

The only thing they've asked is not to reveal your ballot before the ceremony. Afterward, anyone can reveal how they voted, plus they reveal the overall count with regional breakdowns. That's transparent enough for me, considering we're talking about a player of the year award. The column comes off as pointless drama.

10. Tom Petty

Tom Petty New Member

oj was found not guilty. maybe you should be able to impose your own justice on whatever you feel needs fixed.

11. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

YankeeFan was sardonically paraphrasing Dennis Dodd.

12. Tom Petty

Tom Petty New Member

i don't care. his angst, or whatever the fuck it is, is ridiculous.

Draft saved Draft deleted