1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

College football writer gives up Heisman vote

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Alma, Apr 8, 2013.

1. alanpagerules

alanpagerules Member

I like Dodd a lot, but disagree with him on this one. I have no problem with an organization saying "We'd really like you to vote on this award, just please don't tell anyone who you voted for until after."

He compares it to an election. The problem is everyone gets to vote in an election (and they don't make projections any more until all polls are closed), the same isn't true with the Heisman. You have to be invited.

2. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

He wrote about himself, how he does his job. That is all I need to know.

Of course, I could have predicted I would have said that.

3. BillyT

BillyT Active Member

The reader doesn't care.

Someone else should have done the story if, indeed, it is a story.

If the rule was there but unenforced, it's still there.

Do I like it? No. Can they do it? Sure.

4. SockPuppet

SockPuppet Active Member

Mizzou, were you born after 1997? I think Woodson over Manning was a surprise.

And all you guys who are ripping on Dodd: He's one of the best journalists we have. He cares about disclosure and transparency. He knows what he's writing about and he was spot on. Some of the anti-Dodd posts either missed the point or are too dense to get the point.

And all this bull about "the readers don't care" ... those who are saying this are stuck back in the print era. This is all about digital. Those who read about college football, follow Dodd on Twitter and bookmark CBSSports.com care and read about all this stuff. Niche audiences.

5. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

The "I/we" stuff suggests he was writing about something beyond his own experience.

6. Tom Petty

Tom Petty New Member

i knew you were going to write that.

7. Norrin Radd

Norrin Radd New Member

Would argue the exact opposite.

8. Tom Petty

Tom Petty New Member

and i'd argue right back attcha. if i were joey reader, and i had a sports dork down at the daily bee with a heisman vote, i'd want to know who s/he was voting for on a yearly basis and why and why s/he was or wasn't voting any longer.

i think it connects the reader with said sports dork at their local rag.

9. Norrin Radd

Norrin Radd New Member

Readers care only as an opportunity to express their own views.

The average reader would rather disseminate their own opinion, and ignore or dismiss that of the sports dork. In the print world, the reader accepted the bold (and not so bold) proclamations of the "trained" journalist and maybe once in a while got fired up enough to send out a letter to the editor. Now the reader wants to tell everyone else what they think, with little interest in anyone's opinion.

10. Tom Petty

Tom Petty New Member

i disagree. as sports dorks and former sports dorks, i think we're too quick to dismiss ourselves because that's what we've been taught to do. as weekly columnists, people grow to connect with us. love us or hate us, they connect with us.

11. SockPuppet

SockPuppet Active Member

If you are correct - and I argue you're incorrect - give the Fred Sanford exit NOW. I'd like to think the number of "yellers" who want and make their opinion heard with posts are in the minority while the majority of readers want to read informed opinions and analysis and occasionally express an opinion.

So, yes, SportsJournalists.com is made up of the minority. ;D

12. Norrin Radd

Norrin Radd New Member

"The Fred Sanford exit"?

Anyway, this is the point in these threads where if I further explain myself and link to information, other dudes hop in to tell me how much I hate print sports journalism.

So, since I have no quibble with either of you and I am not in the mood to engage anyone else . . . good day, gentlemen.

Draft saved Draft deleted