1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

College Football weekend 10-26

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by GB-Hack, Oct 26, 2006.

1. Chuck~Taylor

Chuck~Taylor Active Member

All those stats are fine and dandy, but we'll see what happens when Alan Branch and that front 7 get their hands on Troy Smith.

EDIT: Remember what happened to Penn State's quarterbacks? :)

2. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

It's possible.

And that would be disturbing.

I know all the fanboys would be screaming "We're as deserving as all those other 1-loss teams, so why should they jump us?"

But for this to be the big game it is being portrayed as, there must be consequences for losing it.

Otherwise, the magnificent college football regular season drifts ever closer to other sports in terms of worthlessness.

3. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Who are two people who have never been in my living room... or seen Alabama play...

4. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

Well, they did buy that bowl game a couple years back ...

5. shotglass

shotglass Guest

... and they probably filled out their ballots in a Holiday Inn.

6. Chef

Chef Active Member

finished 42-62, 519.

How in the hell do you lose that game?

7. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

Here's something I keep thinking about within the context of a possible Michigan-Ohio State rematch in the BCS championship game:

If you could convince me every voter on the Harris poll and the USA Today coaches poll votes every week based on which team deserves to be No. 1, which deserves to be No. 2, etc., then I'd say let the chips fall where they may. But, I'm not convinced such voting exists across the board.

The BCS standings come out each week. Voters see where teams are in the real standings. Don't tell me there aren't people on the Harris poll and USA Today poll who might vote differently if they had no idea what the BCS standings look like. If, say, the BCS standings came out once -- after the regular season -- would voting look differently? I say yes.

And I'll go further with my point: Because there is so much talk about this scenario and that scenario, I suspect we could see this rematch simply because enough voters might want to see it happen. Maybe they want to shake up the process and force a playoff. Maybe they just think a rematch would be cool.

They know what the standings look like. They could make it happen if they wanted to.

The BCS standings will always be public -- to generate interest -- but they only need to be released once, at the end of the season, when they matter. The only time they matter. All they do now is present the potential for voters to see how much weight a certain vote carries or needs to carry.

If you were designing a perfect system, it wouldn't look like this one in many ways, but it certainly wouldn't include the weekly release of the BCS standings. Just one man's opinion.

8. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

Just one man's opinion, sure, but that was one damn good opinion.

9. sartrean

sartrean Member

C'mon Scarlet Knights.

Four points ain't enough to keep the BCS system impressed. Gotta make that BCS title game with Wake....c'mon Rutgers...

10. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

If Wake Forest, which had to rally to beat a UNC team with a lame-duck coach and zero wins against I-A opponents, gets within sniffing distance of a BCS game of any stripe, let alone the title game, I give up on life.

11. Beef03

Beef03 Active Member

It's called fumbelitis, and not scoring a point in the second half.

Here's a better question, How is Texas still in the top 5 after nearly losing to tech and Nebraska? Especially considerin Louisville is behind them and unbeaten? I think Texas would lose to some of these one-loss teams like Auburn, and I think LSU at 6-2 would also hand Colt McCoy a beating.

12. sartrean

sartrean Member

Blocked punt, baby. Rutgers is in business.

BCS voters, computers or mafiosos, did you see that?!!!??!!?!?

C'mon Scarlet Knights!!

Draft saved Draft deleted