1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

College Football weekend 10-26

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by GB-Hack, Oct 26, 2006.

1. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

Solich for Coach of the Year!!!!!!!!

2. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Agree with Junkie. All of Michigan's wins -- especially Notre Dame -- but save for Vandy/Central before that have been utter dominations. But you can't tell that from the scoreboard, because Lloyd Carr's teams simply do not put up 70-7 "impressive" margins. They win games like they did today, or like they did vs. Mich. State (by 2 TDs, 1 FG), vs. Iowa (by 2 TDs), vs. Wisky (by 2 TDs), vs. Minny (by 2 TDs).

That's just the way Michigan plays -- doesn't mean it's not deserving of the No. 2 ranking by a wide, wide margin. It is.

The '97 UM team was eerily similar. It had one quality smashing against a then-No. 2 Penn State, and every other game was something like 23-7. I think that team scored 30+ points maybe three times all season. ... Of course, that team also beat like seven Top 25 opponents (not including ND in a rivalry game.)

3. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

Dominant ones. I expect New Hampshire to beat Northwestern 17-3, not Michigan.

Yeah, yeah, how much do I want them to beat people by, yada, yada, yada. Call me crazy, but if Manningham isn't back in time, that game in two weeks at Indiana might be tougher than it looks/needs to be.

4. spup1122

spup1122 Guest

OK, SC, let's remember who the Bobcats lost to a few weeks ago. :)

Coach of the year? I don't think so. ;)

5. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Oz, Michigan DID dominate that game today. Their offense, still without Manningham, was definitely off-track in the rain-soaked Big House, but Northwestern (held to minus-13 yards rushing after Sutton himself got 172 vs. MSU last week) got completely outplayed.

Unfortunately for UM fans, many Michigan games are tougher than they need to be. Blame Carr for that, because there are plenty of times when UM loses games it should win because it doesn't outscore a team 70-7.

6. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

Already blamed Carr and the nature of the Big 10 in a previous post. Call me crazy, but when someone can move the ball against that defense -- and Northwestern did that on the first drive, before the fumble -- the offense will have to come up with an answer.

In other words, had that been Florida or West Virginia and not Northwestern, would Michigan have had the same success? All I'm saying is that Michigan, to me, isn't a slam-dunk choice as the second-best team in America. Nothing more, nothing less. Take that for what it's worth and leave it at that.

7. KP

KP Active Member

Pup, doesn't your team have bigger issues?

EDIT Sorry, wrong school. Though I'm told your's isn't even I-A. And since it's neither UNH, Richmond or JMU pipe down. :D

8. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

The above statement is my final statement about Michigan this weekend. I'm out.

9. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

They'll beat Indiana by 20 points.

10. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

I'd like someone to convince me (i.e., Junkie) that Calvin Johnson still isn't the best receiver in college football. Dude is going to be a big bright shining star in the NFL.

11. spup1122

spup1122 Guest

Where I went to school and who I support are very different things. I went to a I-AA school but never attended a single game. I support the other state school (regarding athletics) and have been to several games and other athletic events.

12. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Laugh now, but John L's gonna look pretty good when Pat Shurmer is George Perles' puppet next season...

Draft saved Draft deleted