1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

College football week 9 thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Steak Snabler, Oct 21, 2013.

1. Layman

Layman Well-Known Member

As the playoff succeeds & inevitably grows, I believe we'll just see less & less OOC games.

2. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

No, what I'm old enough to remember being called intersectional games should still survive because if you don't play them, the committee will hold it against you. Not everybody's the SEC. Suppose some school, let's say Pitt at random, catches lightning in a bottle one year and goes like 11-1. It needs that OOC win to validate what people, especially people on this board, will cite as success in an inferior league.

3. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

The committee can only penalize teams for creampuff scheduling if there are teams it can reward for not doing it. And even if there are, the committee's not going to select 10-2 Nebraska over 12-0 Alabama because Nebraska played Ohio State and Arkansas and Alabama only played Florida State.

4. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Of course not. Ohio State is a conference game for Nebraska. And of the OOC games you mentioned, Florida State > Arkansas.

So of course 12-0 Bama would get the nod.

Where the schedule could/should come into play is a tiebreaker between teams with the same record. Or between a one-loss team that played 7 ranked opponents vs. an undefeated team that, say, played none or one (we'll call them Boise).

5. Layman

Layman Well-Known Member

Michael, I'm probably as old & I remember the same things. I'll miss them, as well. I just "see", as we head toward an 8 team playoff (with the quarters held on the old Conference Championship Game weekend) the 75-80 school mega division, half dozen big leagues. Winning the conference & keeping the money within the conference structure, will be huge. Intersectionals will come around during the playoff.

6. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

*headdesk*

I knew that. Damn conference realignment. Can't keep it straight. Substitute ... um ... Texas A&M, then. Point remains.

7. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

It's getting harder and harder to do with the larger conferences and more conference games. In most leagues, you'll have maybe three spots available. If you have a traditional non-conference rival, that leaves you two. And you have a need for at least one, maybe two, revenue games at home.

It seems like there will be fewer and fewer opportunities for an Alabama to play an Oregon.

You're going to have to get your strength of schedule from your conference games unless you're in a lesser conference and are willing to go on the road to play a major opponent.

Besides, if I'm BCS heavyweight that draws 85,000 everytime we open the gates at home, why would I risk a road game against another heavyweight that isn't going to pay anywhere near as much as I get from a home date vs. Cupcake U.

8. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Looks like Nick Saban is already lining up his excuses for when he leaves Alabama after this season:

http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/9880250/alabama-crimson-tide-punish-students-leaving-early

9. exmediahack

exmediahack Well-Known Member

At start of Nebraska at Minnesota, the announcers state, while showing Jerry Kill in the press box, "today is Epilepsy Awareness Day here at the game."

Um... isn't this the case every game?

10. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Well, if that's an issue for him then he's not going to Texas.

11. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

Hope the Gophers don't change course when they bump Kill upstairs for health reasons and hire a new coach. Promote a coordinator. This staff seems to have the program headed in the right direction. Not Big-10 contenders of course, but slowly becoming as good as they've been since Mason's best seasons.

12. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

If they keep taking it to Nebraska like this, you might get your wish by Monday.

That touchdown on fourth-and-10 is the kind of ballsy thing that can really get a program believing in itself.

Draft saved Draft deleted