1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

College football week 9 thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Steak Snabler, Oct 21, 2013.

1. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

Take Texas Tech, Oregon and Baylor

Thank me later.

2. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

So Arkansas State calls itself the Red Wolves now? Lovely. Back in the day, they were known as the Indians. Even had an Indian picture on the helmets.

3. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

They've been the Red Wolves for about five years now.

4. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Either oddsmakers not respecting Missouri, or oddsmakers assuming SEC longtimers don't respect Missouri

5. Steak Snabler

The updated odds have Mizzou at a 2.5-to-3 point favorite:

http://espn.go.com/college-football/lines

Also, Texas A&M is now an 18-point favorite against Vandy.

6. RubberSoul1979

RubberSoul1979 Active Member

Really looking forward to Ohio State going 13-0 and, when it comes to the national title game picture, sitting on the outside looking in.

It's as if when Gordon Gee clowned on Boise State for scheduling "Little Sisters of The Poor," somebody in the AD said, "Hey, we should play them!"

And then there's the Big Ten. Oh my goodness, talk about three yards and cloud of suck.

Big Ten 2013 = Mountain West 2008, MAC 1999, Conference USA 1998

7. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Not really.

8. Steak Snabler

Didn't realize until I was reading some of the draft boards that Marcus Mariota is only 19. He doesn't turn 20 until next week (Oct. 30).

Can't imagine there have been a lot of 20-year-old NFL quarterbacks. Michael Vick, who left Va. Tech as a redshirt sophomore, was 21 when he made his NFL debut.

9. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

RubberSoul's post is an example of a phenomenon among college football fans (and media) which always evokes wonder in me. How is it that in each season otherwise perfectly rational people forget that there are always one hell of a lot more undefeated teams in October than in December?

10. Layman

Layman Well-Known Member

Ugh. Yes this is a fanboi rant, but it's not as if Ohio State went out of their way to have a crap schedule the last couple of years. Could it be tougher? Absolutely. However, their formula is pretty typical. A Marquee home & home, a middle of the road BCS conference opponent, a couple of cupcakes & their conference slate.

It looks bad because a) The B1G is unquestionably down, b) the Cal they scheduled many years ago, isn't the Cal they got, and c) Vandy bailed on them (as well as Northwestern).

Personally, I'm fine with them not making the Championship game....even undefeated. Their defense isn't to that level, yet. Having said that, IF they finish undefeated (I suspect they won't), it'll be 25 straight. That's d*mned impressive, no matter what conference you play in. They'd deserve to be in the conversation.

11. Steak Snabler

Can we please scrap the B1G thing? I understand it's the logo and it's useful in Twitter, but otherwise it's just confusing.

12. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Alex Smith was 20 when he was drafted but 21 when he played his first game. One of my favorite fun notes: As an eighth-year pro, he was younger than Browns rookie Brandon Weeden.

Draft saved Draft deleted