1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

College football week 9 thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Steak Snabler, Oct 21, 2013.

1. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Well, Oregon and Florida State flip in this week's BCS rankings. Not a huge surprise and the margin is pretty close.

Looking like a closed-door party among the top 5, possibly 6, teams. It will all sort itself out.

2. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Agreed - lower than Stanford, not a lot of teams have a path to the BCS. And I don't see any of the top 5 dropping farther than 7th with a loss. Baylor has their five toughest games left over 30 days and even if Miami beats FSU (big IF) I don't see them getting past Ohio State.

3. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Baylor needs help but with regards to Ohio State, SOS may wind up working in the Bears' favor. Their schedule gets stronger over the next month while OSU has Indiana, Illinois and, potentially, Michigan twice. Not sure how playing a team two weeks in a row affects schedule strength though.

4. murphyc

murphyc Well-Known Member

Stanford was up 20-9 with about three minutes left, just needed a first down to seal the win. Running back fumbled the ball away. Beavs recovered but stalled, settled for a field goal. Stanford couldn't do anything, punted. Beavs got a great punt return, then got down to about the Stanford 7 but pass into the end zone was knocked away to end it. Game shouldn't have been that close. Stanford kept getting to Mannion (eight sacks) but couldn't really pull away.

5. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

If you are talking the title game, I totally agree. If you mean any BCS bowl, still plenty of leeway. My guess is two from the SEC, ACC and Pac-12. One from the Big Ten, Big XII, American Athletic and one other (either an outsider like Northern Illinois or Notre Dame, who is quietly 6-2).

I still think we'll only have two major undefeateds after the conference championship games (each of the current top four would have one), but I can't guess which ones. Alabama still has LSU, Auburn and the SEC game. Oregon still has Stanford, Oregon State and the Pac-12 game. Florida State still has Miami, Florida and the ACC game. Ohio State still has Michigan and the Big Ten game. Gotta be a couple of upsets in there somewhere.

6. Layman

Layman Well-Known Member

Wouldn't shock me to see Sparty beat Michigan this weekend & be tOSU's matchup in the conference championship.

7. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Buckeye marching band is more interesting than the fifth ranked football team.

8. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

Damn, that's impressive. I liked the UM-OSU "pirate ship" battle, and the moving dinosaur legs.

They're giving the Wisconsin band a run for its money!

Draft saved Draft deleted