1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

College football Week 9 thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Johnny Dangerously, Oct 23, 2007.

1. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

Fenian's running it.

2. Sxysprtswrtr

Sxysprtswrtr Active Member

How about post somethin' original puppies -- No reason to regurgitate the same post year after year regarding the CocktailPartyUGA-Florida game. :)

I'd like to see the Dawgs win, but it isn't gonna happen.

3. Chef

Chef Active Member

The Chef's upset specials of the week.

Penn St. over Ohio St.
    Va.Tech over BC
    Cal over ASU

If you consider the last two "upsets"--
    Someone will need to dispatch of OU sometime in the next couple weeks so KU will have a shot.

If a one loss team from the same conference gets a higher nod, that's a shame.

4. spnited

spnited Active Member

Va Tech over BC will not be an upset... The Hokies are 3 1/2-point faves.

5. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

And Penn State is at home.

6. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

I saw Texas last week. No way they'd beat OU right now. But I can see them rolling Nebraska easily.

7. Jeremy Goodwin

Jeremy Goodwin Active Member

Mizzou wins, but not by that much. They usually play down to ISU. Pinkel still thinks MU won the game last year. It'll be interesting to see if Tony Temple plays, and if he does, how much MU will play the other 'backs who did great last week.
    I think this will be KU's toughest game of the year. It'll be close and I the Aggies will take it.

8. beefncheddar

beefncheddar Guest

The Resistable Force vs. the Movable Object: South Carolina's offense vs. Tennessee's defense.

9. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Texas, who?

10. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

Last three trips into Happy Valley for Ohio State:

2005: Bad, bad loss. Fans rush the field, etc.
    2003: Ohio State nearly gets upset, winning by one point. A 3-win Penn State team is in front for a bit of the game and had a chance near the end; I think Robbie Gould missed a late field goal, IIRC.
    2001: Freshman Zack Mills gets Penn State its first win of the season; Paterno passes Bear.

It's not been a fun place for St. Sweater Vest.

11. It was actually PSU's second win of the season in '01...they had beaten a ranked Northwestern team the week before in Evanston.

And it was David Kimball who missed the FG in '03...from about 60 yards, just short. Gould was a junior and in the process of completely losing it...probably never would have become the kicker he is today had New England not signed him as a favor and let him meet Vinatieri.

Not trying to bring in the black helicopters, but OSU took the lead late in that game, moving into field goal range after a clear bounce pass to Ben Hartsock was ruled a catch and gave the Buckeyes a first down.

And OSU in Big Ten play in Beaver Stadium before Tressel:

'99: LaVar Arrington tossed around Steve Bellisari like a rag doll and PSU won easily.

'97: Curtis Enis and Aaron Harris each have huge TD runs to rally Penn State in the fourth quarter.

'95: Ohio State, ranked in the top five if I recall, wins a back-and-forth game in the final minute with an Eddie George TD run.

'94: Penn State wins 63-14...and dropped from No. 1 to No. 2 in one of the polls.

Point, as Herbstreit pointed out yesterday on ESPN radio, Ohio State has never had it easy in Happy Valley. 2-5 with one of those being a controversial win for a BCS-bound Buckeye team against the worst PSU team in Paterno's tenure.

It should be a fun night...and I get the weekend off to travel to Happy Valley and play Fanboy Looser... Hooray!

12. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

South Florida will demolish UConn.

Draft saved Draft deleted