1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

College Football Week 9 thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Steak Snabler, Oct 20, 2014.

1. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

I mean that people now can't look at Bud Foster's goober face and not think "prison pussy."

2. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

It's time for a legitimate discussion of Frank Beamer's exit strategy. Love the dude. Treated me very well every time I've dealt with him, including when I was a dumbass student reporter in the 90s. Laying a turd is one thing. Laying one on national TV in a game your administration very publicly lobbied for is another. He openly said last night that he thinks the Hokies will be "pretty good next year." So he's punted a season in October, which is sort of unthinkable for that program. Brewer is terrible. The offensive line hasn't had a legitimate all-conference/all-American/NFL prospect sort of guy for a half decade now, which speaks to the decline in recruiting. He just signed an extension through 2018, but I don't see any way Whit Babcock will put up with the bellcow program becoming irrelevant and uninteresting. This game wasn't a blip. It's been an ugly trend over recent weeks. And when the next home game comes up and there are swaths of empty seats, he may be pushed into action sooner than later.

3. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=owzhYNcd4OM

4. Big Circus

(I kid, of course, and I'm still predicting a VT win over my Wahoos next month, and quite confidently.)

5. amraeder

amraeder Well-Known Member

One of the best South Park scenes of all time.

6. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

I asked on Twitter last night if there were two wins left on Tech's schedule. The only sure thing I could think of was Wake. BC, Duke, UVa ... two are coin flips, and Duke will be a prohibitive fave.

7. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

8. Big Circus

9. Big Circus

Cosmo, as someone who's pretty knowledgeable about the Tech program, what's your take on the cause of the decline?

10. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

Recruiting has slipped pretty hard. I know Tech has some good talent ... Fuller, Ford, Hodges, etc. But like I said, the offensive line has been patchwork awful for five years running now. You can't win that way when you're a run-heavy team. He was too loyal to guys like O'Cain and Stinespring. Basically, the only way Tech could win in the late 2000s was to have a transcendent defense and just enough offense to survive.

Look, football is the ONLY program at Tech that has a chance to be elite. Men's hoops will never be a year-in, year-out NCAA contender. Baseball doesn't have the facilities to have the sort of season it had in 2013 on a consistent basis. Babcock cannot allow football to slip into mediocrity, and he won't. The fan base is coming around to the idea that it's time for Beamer to plan for a graceful exit. Never thought I'd say that, but it's happening.

11. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

That sound you heard last night was every 4 and 5 star recruit scratching VT off their lists. At least the few who had VT on their lists to begin with anyway. Back-to-back Thursday night stinkers on national TV is a dagger.

VT does have a bunch of young talent, though, especially at the skill positions. Just need a QB (I think Ford could be the answer) and big-time OL help. I'm trying hard not to overreact into "Beamer's time is up" after just a few weeks. That's a tad too reactionary, I think. If this is still the norm this time next year, perhaps.

That was definitely a textbook dumpster fire last night, though. Ugly, ugly, ugly.

12. Big Circus

To me, VT's in a similar situation to UVA in the late 90s. You've got basically the only coach who ever had sustained success (obviously the degrees of success are different, although the Wahoo in me must point out that Welsh got UVA to No. 1 overall and Beamer never did that with the Hokies). You can't really force that guy out (short of a Sandusky situation, of course) because he basically IS the program. Those guys always wind up hanging on a year or two too long, but that's really the only option.

And obviously, everything depends on who you hire to replace the legend. Who will Tech's Al Groh be? :D

Draft saved Draft deleted