1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

College football Week 8 thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Steak Snabler, Oct 14, 2013.

1. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Cool ESPN.com piece on Fordham, which is 7-0 for the first time since 1930, when future star Vince Lombardi was in high school:

http://espn.go.com/new-york/college-football/story/_/id/9832067/kieran-darcy-fordham-university-football-recalling-prominent-past

2. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

Watched a Fordham game on TV last week, full on-campus stadium, towers and trees in the background, it was nice.

According to his bio, Lombardi was probably the worst of the 7 Blocks of Granite but had the most post-college success, even though it was somewhat late in coming. He desperatly wanted to be Fordham's coach several times as the program spiraled post-war but was never hired.

3. Steak Snabler

Jim Crowley, who was one the Four Horsemen of Notre Dame, was Lombardi's coach at Fordham.

4. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

I've been lobbying for that for more than 20 years, only to be told it will never happen because of the number of games it would require.

Well, cut the regular season back to 11 games, ditch the conference championship games and have a four-week, 16-team tournament. Start it on the week after Thanksgiving. Half the teams would lose the first week, meaning they'd only have 12 games and be done before finals. Another four would lose the second week, meaning they'd have 13 games. Only the final four teams would be playing past mid-December and have more than 13 games, which really isn't all that different than the current arrangement.

The real losers would be the so-called minor bowls. Hey, I'm even fine with their existence. They can pick from the teams that don't qualify for the 16-team tournament, which is not much different than where we are now. It can still be a nice consolation prize for teams going 7-4 or 6-5.

5. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

Oregon has been, on average, a 33-point favorite this year. Oregon has covered each game, and I believe 14 of the last 15. Something ridiculous like that.

Oregon is favored by 38.5 at home vs. Washington State this week.

6. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

Take the Ducks.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 1, 2015
  7. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Take the Ducks.

I'm probably taking UCLA, too.

8. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Rumor has it the Ducks are going to wear pink helmets. Yeah, that'll rile up the opponent.

9. Steak Snabler

It's no rumor.

[​IMG]

http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/9837723/oregon-ducks-wear-pink-helmets-vs-washington-state-cougars

I think Breast Cancer Awareness month has finally jumped the shark.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  10. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

It's rumor until the moment they take the field. There's still time for sanity to prevail. Well, I mean, if it was someplace other than Oregon in the discussion, then sanity could prevail.

11. Steak Snabler

The story includes a quote from the Oregon head coach. I'd say it rises from "rumor" to "plan."

12. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

I like them.

Draft saved Draft deleted