1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

College football Week 8 thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Steak Snabler, Oct 14, 2013.

1. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

All we need is another damn committee to screw things up.

2. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Jeff Long would be the perfect guy to chair that group.

3. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

I like the way you think; Jeff Long has such a sterling track record of competence he would be a great choice. He should also make sure there are some women on the committee, because that will help it to avoid controversy.

4. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

A fan's simple mathematical college football ranking system is surprisingly accurate:

http://raycomgroup.worldnow.com/story/23688184/colin-macguire-develops-ranking-system

5. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

A committee is not going to solve a damn thing.

This time next year, we'll be having this same discussion: what if the SEC, Big Ten, Pac-12, ACC and Big XII champs are all undefeated? What about Louisville? Who gets shafted? We haven't solved anything; we've simply shifted responsibility from the computers to a committee, because a committee is easier to point fingers at.

I liked the old system better, where each conference had its bowl tie-in and you let the chips fall where they may at the end.

6. joe

joe Active Member

And with James Franklin out for Mizzou with a shoulder injury, the Gators should probably be 13-point favorites. Could get ugly for the Tiggers.

7. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

The key with this committee — and I'll admit I haven't paid much attention yet — is the criteria/restrictions on picking the teams.

At the end of this year, the top four teams could be Alabama, Oregon, Texas A&M and LSU.

Can the committee pick three teams from one conference? Should they?

I don't think the committee and the semifinalists it picks will end the arguments.

8. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

I don't know that we can assume anything with the paucity of experience Mauk has, especially with a week with the starting unit in practice to work things out. I do know that Florida's offense is in no way scary.

9. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Theoretically, the fifth-place team being snubbed is better than the third-place team being snubbed.

10. Armchair_QB

I'm going to go out on a limb and say a two-loss Texas A&M or LSU won't be in the top 4 this year.

11. sportbook

sportbook Member

Agreed. I think a really interesting argument would be a one-loss LSU team (would have to run the table and win SEC) title game vs. undefeated Ohio State. My guess is Ohio State would get the nod but I'm not sure that would be fair.

12. Armchair_QB

Why?

Draft saved Draft deleted