1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

College football Week 7 thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Steak Snabler, Oct 7, 2013.

1. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

If Texas gets dumptrucked Saturday, I bet he's gone Monday.

2. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

He's gone no matter what, but he'll finish the season regardless of what happens tomorrow.

And Texas doesn't "fire" football coaches. It "reassigns" them...

3. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

Manny Diaz begs to differ.

4. murphyc

murphyc Well-Known Member

The Oregon-UW game is interesting to me on several levels.
    For one, the spread seems a bit high to me. The Huskies dang near beat Stanford on the road last week. This week they're at home against a Duck team that hasn't been challenged yet. Oregon will try to tie the NCAA record for most consecutive 50+ point games and Mariota has yet to play in the fourth quarter this year. So to me the question is, if the game is close, do the Ducks have the stamina at this point to play a full game in a hostile environment? The answer is probably yes, but then again...
    There are probably not a lot of people on the East Coast who have the chance to watch the Ducks outside of highlights since Oregon plays so many night games. Cal was at night, WAZZU next week is at night and Stanford next month is at night. The UW game is a day game, so they can make a big impression if they light up the Huskies. That would make them look good and help Mariota's Heisman pursuit.
    On the other hand, a blowout for the Ducks wouldn't be the best thing for the Pac-12. Larry Scott talked during the UO/Cal game about the conference being stronger top to bottom this year. In recent years it's pretty much been Stanford and Oregon, then the rest of the conference pretty far below (with some exceptions, such as UW's win over Stanford last year). UW is one of several teams trying to join the Pac-12 elite status; if the Ducks score a lopsided win it will help reenforce the image of the Pac-12 being a two-team conference.

5. Layman

Layman Well-Known Member

Back to back big games can be a b*tch, particularly in CFB. I'll be interested to see how Washington does. Same with Northwestern. Rough game with tOSU, now on the road to Madison.

6. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

No question the league is stronger top to bottom; really the only "gimmes" on the schedule this year are Cal and Colorado. And both those teams can score, especially the Bears.

I, too, predict a close game in Seattle, and we'll see how the Ducks respond. Oregon wasn't challenged in its nonconference schedule, and opened Pac-12 play with the league's two easier teams. They will have some close games from here on out and need to prove they can win those.

7. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

I've thought since preseason that Louisville was overrated and am even more convinced that way. That team that played Thursday would be sub.-.500 in the SEC. They'll have to play better than that to beat Central Florida next week.

8. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Or not.

http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/9651381/texas-longhorns-reassign-defensive-coordinator-manny-diaz

http://www.kvue.com/sports/Manny-Diaz-is-relieved-of-duties-Greg-Robinson-back-222889351.html

I was speaking about head coaches, not assistants, in my original post, but even Diaz was "reassigned."

John Mackovic got to help design UT's golf course when he was "reassigned."

9. Bodie_Broadus

Bodie_Broadus Active Member

"The Huskies should be happy to hold Oregon under 50"

Why? No moral victories, Huskies can hang. No one seems to be giving them much of a shot (no surprise there) but I think UW should show up and give it a go anyway.

10. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

An undefeated Louisville only gains a spot in the final if every other BCS conference champ has two losses. A two loss SEC champ gets in over them.

11. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

True, but they're going to have to score in order to hang. I can't see this one being a 13-10 game.

12. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

Cool pix but it's not nearly accurate; unless the parking spots are 20 yards wide at BMS.

Both teams should be much improved by then and this will be marketed like a Kentucky Derby-style event. I'm guessing 150K is very doable.

Draft saved Draft deleted