1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

College football Week 7 thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Steak Snabler, Oct 7, 2013.

1. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

2. Layman

Layman Well-Known Member

They played an NFL game at Bristol in '61. Obviously, a lot has changed at BMS since then, but it looks like that field is gonna be a LONG way from some of those seats.

http://www.pittalks.com/2013/03/12/the-forgotten-game-bristol-motor-speedway/

3. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

I can't wait to see UVa-Wake Forest at Martinsville. I bet they'd get at least 30,000.

4. JackReacher

5. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Then again ...
    From this pic of an empty Bristol, it looks like there's plenty of room to fit a football field. The scoring tower will have to come down, of course, and the smaller buildings on the right could pose a problem, but there's more open space than I thought. I took the tour about a decade ago and seem to remember there being a half-dozen garage type buildings. Guess not.
    There's probably room, too, to build some temporary seating on the track banking. Man, they might be able to pack 300,000 people into that place for a football game.

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  6. JackReacher

300,000? Let's not get crazy. But I did hear that they're probably going to bring in additional, portable seating for the infield/track area.

7. da man

da man Well-Known Member

I would think they'd have to. From that photo, even the closest of those permanent seats appears to be a long, long way from where the field would be.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 1, 2015
  8. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

I cannot wait to watch the train wreck that will be USC under Orgeron for the remainder of the season.

9. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

You're probably right. Was doing the math of roughly doubling the capacity, but they'd lose some volume with things they'll have to bring in or build for the game, like temporary locker rooms for each team.
    I'd think between 200,000 and 250,000 would be a realistic number if they meet the sweet spot of demand and properly-priced tickets. The track seating holds about 180,000, IIRC, and the track itself is a half-mile around — twice what most football stadiums are. If they put some portable bleacher seating on the track banking it's like adding another small stadium to the total.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 1, 2015
  10. JackReacher

Not that any of this matters, but I'd guess they'd be lucky to get near 200,000 for the game.

Also, a Grantland Exclusive! The phone transcripts of the USC coaching hoax!

The Del Rio one is my favorite.

http://www.grantland.com/blog/the-triangle/post/_/id/77519/phone-transcripts-the-usc-football-coaching-hoax

11. UPChip

UPChip Well-Known Member

"YO, YO, YO, YO, YO, YO...YO, YO...FOOTBALL!"
    "YO, YO, YO, YO, YO, YO...YO, YO...FIGHT ON!"

12. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Sort of like playing a hockey game at the Big House in Ann Arbor. Yeah, some of the seats are pretty far away. LA Coliseum was that way. Some seats made you feel you were in another area code.

I remember sitting way up in the nosebleeds in 1982 when Michael Jordan hit the winning shot to beat Georgetown in the first NCAA basketball championship game in a domed football stadium. Best view was on the in-stadium big screen, but, hey, I was there and still have the ticket stub all these years later.

Draft saved Draft deleted