1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

College football Week 7 thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Steak Snabler, Oct 7, 2013.

1. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

They say that about everybody, all the time, Steak. Go back and look at the "red flags" that were up about Cam Newton. It dropped him all the way to first in the draft.

2. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Every team has a vested interest in badmouthing a player they really like. They all want to be the Dolphins winding up with Dan Marino. Now, that doesn't mean these guys aren't sincere (although anonymous scouts are like "party insiders" in terms of their credibility in news stories), but it's an interest that has to be acknowledged.

3. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

1. Sign him as cheaply as possible.

2. Cover your ass in case he doesn't work out.

Every team take this approach come evaluation/signing time. Any kid giving them more ammunition is a fucking idiot.

4. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Newton's red flags were mostly that he made questionable off-field decisions and that he played in a spread offense. He never took plays (or entire games) off.

5. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Warren Sapp was badmouthed too. That worked out pretty good.

6. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

Exactly. Those quotes from the Hayes story are garbage. Meaningless.

But at least no one's overreacting to this whole thing!

7. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Starting to look like Nolan Nawrocki's scouting report in Geno Smith was a bit
    off also.

8. dargan

dargan Active Member

This effort thing with Clowney is completely out of control.

Read the Rotoworld story. Does a great job correctly explaining that it's a B.S. narrative.

9. murphyc

murphyc Well-Known Member

Not sure this is the proper thread for this, but I find it an intriguing idea:
    http://sports.yahoo.com/news/ap-source-vols-hokies-play-221536734--ncaaf.html

I haven't watched a Bristol race in years, but I'm assuming there are still no garages in the cramped infield? I recall in the past teams had to work out of their haulers due to no room for garages like every other NASCAR track. I ask because I can't see this working unless the infield could be empty enough to lay down a huge pad for the field.

10. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Eddie Gossage at Texas Motor Speedway floated something like this for the Texas-Oklahoma game a few years back when the schools were making noise about taking the game on-campus. Would have loved to see them try it.

Hope this one works.

11. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

I mean, obviously it's going to work because this is happening.

They've been talking about this for years. Glad to see it finally coming to life. Having never been there, I'm not sure how great the views will be from those seats, but I still plan on being there for that. Better book my hotel now.

12. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Views shouldn't be a problem. Bristol is basically one giant football stadium anyway. It's a big, vertical bowl. Can't imagine how loud that place will be for a football game.
    Not sure where they'll put the field. Unlike a lot of tracks, Bristol doesn't have an infield. It's all garages and small buildings. I first remember hearing them talk about this about 10 years ago, and they said it was doable then because they were about to raze and rebuild all of the garages in the infield. That left a small window during football season to put in a temporary field and play the game. No idea if they're doing a similar reconstruction project in time for this game, will figure out a way to put an elevated, temporary field on top of the infield buildings, or what. It's not exactly like a basketball court where you can put it up and take it down quickly, and don't need a ton of space.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 1, 2015
Draft saved Draft deleted