1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

College Football Week 7: Give Penn State a break (or at least a bye)

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Versatile, Oct 9, 2012.

1. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Forde had an interesting bit on the BCS coming out this weekend and the disparity between the current computer rankings (which don't look ahead at schedules) and the humans (who might factor in future opponents), and the likelihood that the humans will be influenced by the computer elevations of teams like Notre Dame and Florida.

2. JosephC.Myers

JosephC.Myers Active Member

I'd have to say so. I think they've already won more games this season than a lot of people thought they would. WHen the sanctions first came down, they talked like it was almost as bad as SMU, which it was, and that it'd be 10 years before Penn State would be competitive in the Big 10 again.
    Well, not saying Penn State would be a contender for a division title, but I do think they're not the worst team (or maybe even second or third-worst team) in the league. Any Big 10 people out there have an opinion?

3. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

Ole Miss -4 vs. Auburn. Shouldn't this be six points higher? At least?
    Duke +10.5 at VT. Entirely too many points.
    U.Va. -2.5 vs. Maryland. Virginia native and Alabama transfer Phillip Sims gets his first start at QB for U.Va.
    Washington +12 vs. USC. Would anyone be surprised if Washington won straight up?

4. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

TJ Moe (who gave Mizzou its only SEC highlight so far, when, at the SEC Media Days, he proclaimed, "the air is cleaner, the girls are prettier, and the toilet paper is thicker...") would play QB in a wildcat-like offense.

That said, it's stupid in this day and age to RS QBs anyway. Mauk-to-DorialGotBaked is Mizzou's SEC future; might as well give it a dry run the rest of this season. Otherwise, Pinkel's running the very real risk of seeing DGB transfer.

5. JosephC.Myers

I'd almost like to see Washington win. Never liked USC that much.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 1, 2015
  6. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

It's a product of the names on the jersey. Mississippi is actually a good team this year.

7. JosephC.Myers

How long has it been since we've been able to make a statement like that. I also wonder how long it's been since Ole Miss was made a favorite over Auburn.

8. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

In 2008, Houston Nutt's first year at Mississippi, the Rebels went 9-4 while Auburn went 5-7. Mississippi went 9-4 the next year, too, but lost to 8-5 Auburn.

9. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

West Va @ Texas Tech could make defensive coordinators everywhere cringe.

10. JosephC.Myers

My fault. Forgot about those teams. My apologies.

11. That boy Hugh Freeze. I wish I could add more to this discussion, but that is all.

12. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

Sims started in the Duke Debacle last week.

Draft saved Draft deleted