1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

College football Week 6 thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Steak Snabler, Sep 30, 2013.

1. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

Georgia opened at like -9 or -10 at Tennessee.

Uh.....sure.

2. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

Up to 10.5 - 11.5 now. Expect that pig to get bet up to 13 or 14.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 1, 2015
  3. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

There's been no recent "shift." The North has produced the past four Pac-10/12 champions. Oregon and Stanford have been the two best teams over the past four years.

It's just even more pronounced now. Improvement at UW and Oregon State have further strengthened in the North, and the decline of USC and the addition of poor Utard and Colorado programs have further weakened the South.

4. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

Could the government shutdown threaten the Air Force-Navy game?

http://www.capitalgazette.com/news/naval_academy/government-shutdown-could-put-navy-air-force-game-in-jeopardy/article_c1dbac7e-2361-57e1-bfc3-fa3096990864.html

5. FileNotFound

FileNotFound Well-Known Member

South Florida obviously didn't have the history, but it was not that long ago it was ranked No. 2.

6. Gehrig

Gehrig Active Member

Are the Miami Hurricanes back as a college football powerhouse?

7. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

8. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Auburn isn't losing to Florida International. Southern Miss actually might.

9. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Not in terms of national championship caliber, but they can go 8-4, 9-3 and get a decent bowl.

I don't know that the administration at Miami is willing to cut corners with questionable players the way they did for a while in the 80s and 90s. Maybe better to go 8-4 with student athletes than 12-0 with a group of thugs on drugs.

10. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

That's what I meant, mate. For decades, Pac-8, Pac-10 football was defined by USC and UCLA. Occasionally Washington would slip in and do something. But if USC was down, it meant the conference was considered down.

Every conference seems to have its flagship programs in various sports. Oregon is the trendy fad over the past few years, but, alas, this too shall pass.

11. RubberSoul1979

RubberSoul1979 Active Member

I can't help but link the decline if Miami football over the last decade to the fact that they now play in an NFL stadium.

Can someone explain how/why the city of Miami let the Orange Bowl -- where six national champions played -- get plowed under to become home of the dreadful Marlins? Did the university have any say in the matter? I would think The U would have been violently opposed to that.

"You don't bring that mess into the O-B!"

12. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

The stadium was old, decrepit and almost totally inaccessible. People would sell their lawns for parking. There were no luxury boxes or other revenue opportunities. And when the whole Bowl Coalition/Bowl Alignment/BCS thing came into being, the Orange Bowl game was going to lose its place in the top tier if it didn't move away from the Orange Bowl stadium. Once that happened, the team's departure was a foregone conclusion. I was surprised they held out as long as they did.

Draft saved Draft deleted