1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

College Football Week 6 thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Steak Snabler, Sep 29, 2014.

1. Pancamo

Pancamo Active Member

Is this the week the SEC faithful start asking whether Bama can be the Raiders?

2. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

I assume you mean "beat," and it was Steve Spurrier who said that.

3. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Alabama -6.5. ... If I bet, I'd take that. I would have loved it at 4.5 or 5 or whatever it was right after it opened. I have a feeling Ole Miss is going to get punched in the mouth on national TV.

4. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

Aren't the Jags in the SEC and Raiders in the Mountain West?

5. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

One stat sticks in my head ... Bo Wallace has thrown 33 interceptions in 30 career games at Ole Miss.

History shows you don't beat a Saban-coached Alabama team with a mistake-prone quarterback (Stephen Garcia being the glaring exception).

6. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

Mmmmm......The Grove.

The intoxicating scents of Chanel No. 5 and Crown Royal.

7. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

I watched the Ole Miss-Memphis game because a) I was in Vegas, and b) I had a bet on it. Miss leading 7-3 at the half was one of the most misleading halftime scores ever. Mississippi dominated, but two red zone picks (and penalties) killed them.

Memphis had -32 yards rushing at half. They were going backwards every other play. Ole Miss' defense is for real.

8. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Everyone is anointing their defense, but they really haven't played anyone worth a damn. Memphis may have been the best offense they have faced (at least if you go by what Memphis has done in its other games). That includes Vandy, which is pitiful -- been held to single digits three times ,and Boise, which is really mediocre.

This game could be a shock to Ole Miss. Alabama has big play ability. I think some people are anticipating a defensive SEC slugfest, but I wouldn't be surprised if Saban comes right out throwing on that defense. Ole Miss plays VERY aggressively and they have ridiculous speed, but they have done what they have done so far by ball hawking and gambling on defense. I'm looking for Amari Cooper to have a game.

9. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

Ole Miss, where they decided years ago that while they might not win the game they'll damn well win the tailgate.

10. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

I'll be a Bammer till the day I die, but there's still a really big soft spot in my heart for The Grove and my alma mater.

Gonna be a hard day. Best team Ole Miss has had in years ... we think.

11. murphyc

murphyc Well-Known Member

Yeah, I agree. Sad that Brandon didn't take action this week. If last Saturday wasn't enough to fire Hoke, I don't know what else he needs. Confirmed attendance of less than 100K?
    Then again, maybe Brandon is busy enough trying to put out the flames around his own seat that he hasn't had time to focus on Hoke.

12. albert77

albert77 Well-Known Member

Only chance Ole Miss has of even making a game of it is if Wallace has a perfect game, and that's asking a lot.

On the other hand, I like State to beat A&M. Aggies are beat to hell after playing Arkansas while Pups had the week off last week.

Draft saved Draft deleted