1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

College Football Week 6 thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Steak Snabler, Sep 29, 2014.

1. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Kansas had made it to the big-time just a few years ago. Remember the season finale, No. 2 Kansas vs. No. 3 Mizzou? In our wildest dreams (our meaning college football fans) did we ever expect Kansas to compete at such a high level? (click to make bigger)

[​IMG]

ESPN or SOE or SI or one of 'em could probably spin a story about how a nothing football school rises so high only to fall so hard. South Florida did the same thing. Speaking of which, someone talked about Wisco smash-mouthing Northwestern on Saturday. Yeah, well, Wisco struggled with South Florida a few days ago. It was 3-3 at the half and 17-10 midway through the third before the Badgers "pulled away" to a 27-10 win.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  2. Captain_Kirk

Captain_Kirk Well-Known Member

I would have never thought in my lifetime I would see Rutgers giving points to Michigan.

3. HappyCurmudgeon

HappyCurmudgeon Well-Known Member

The success Kansas had under The Mangino was really due to a good plan of recruiting. Mangino was a guy that really put a super focus on the trenches and having good offensive lineman. They focused on recruiting lineman and hit more of the state's junior colleges for the skill kids. Given the resources in the surrounding areas it was a pretty good way to build a competitive roster.

Weis never gave me the impression he had any sort of recruiting plan or focal point to the type of team he wanted to build.

4. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

Mangino was the perfect coach for a program such as Kansas in part because he had a knack for finding unheralded recruits who could play. Todd Reesing, Anthony Collins and Aqib Talib were all 2 - Star recruits out of Texas that became All-Americans. A lot of the local Kansas kids who were borderline Big 12 talents improved greatly under the staff, which wasn't happening before or since.

Lew Perkins killed the program when he and Mangino clashed and Perkins manufactured a controversy to force Mangino out.

5. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Worst nonconference sked ever, and I'm saying that as a Mizzou fan.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  6. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

2 of the 4 perhaps. CMU and Toledo have proven to field strong teams often the last 8-10-15 years.

CMU: http://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/schools/central-michigan/

Toledo: http://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/schools/toledo/

But it's still a valid point by and large.

For all that, 76 against Nebraska -- AND they won the Orange Bowl.

7. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

KU winning the Orange Bowl is the reason Missouri is in the driver's seat for its second consecutive SEC E Championship.

8. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

That was me, and we'll see who's right. My main argument is Northwestern isn't physical enough to shut down a power running team.

One more comment on all things Big 10: I rarely, rarely, rarely complement anything the Endless Self Promotion Network does, but their crew on the Big 10 blog provides some entertaining reading for those of us Big Tenners who have moved out of flatland territory. Kudos to Adam Rittenberg and company.

9. spikechiquet

spikechiquet Well-Known Member

Hoke is toast. This Morris shamble is a perfect out for Michigan. Somehow they will find a loophole to boot him and keep their wad.

10. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

The fact that they didn't dump Hoke on Monday Morning leads me to believe they will wait til the end of the year.

11. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

They have a bye Oct. 18 (between Penn State & Michigan State games), but you're probably right.

12. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

Vols now -3. Not quite as easy, but the big swing does reveal much.

Draft saved Draft deleted