1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

College football Week 6 running thread.

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by dooley_womack1, Oct 4, 2009.

1. PopeDirkBenedict

PopeDirkBenedict Active Member

Even Scott Tolzien's mother would admit that Terrelle Pryor is a more dangerous and better player. But Tolzien is Tressel's ideal QB. He is very accurate, doesn't make dumb mistakes, can operate as a dropback QB, runs an excellent play action and can take a hit. That game might come down to kickers and punters.

2. amraeder

amraeder Well-Known Member

Think it's going to come down to OSU's d-line vs. UW's OL.

3. zagoshe

zagoshe Well-Known Member

Of course, I'll be one of the suckers who bets the over in Auburn-Arkansas and it will end up 17-14.....

4. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Only without the nose candy fuel. Just kidding, 'du.

5. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

All in good fun, indeed.

Hardee har har!

--Nebraska and Mizzou will've had 2 weeks off. Should be rested for this one. I'm thinking 38-35'ish, Nebraska.
    --The pressure is off Georgia now because there's nothing to play for, so they'll probably win by 2 touchdowns.
    --Pittsburgh v. UConn ... ehh, who knows? Panthers by a TD or so.
    --Alabama v. Ole Miss ... Slugfest. Till someone beats 'em, Alabama.
    --Arkansas shot its wad this week. Auburn stays unbeaten.
    --UCLA v. Oregon. Bruins.
    --Wisconsin at Ohio State. Ohio State.
    --TCU will shut out Air Force, or limit them to a TD at most.
    --Florida v. LSU ... Tebow will've had 2 weeks to rest his head, but he'll get knocked out again. LSU in a squeaker.
    --Michigan v. Iowa. Iowa moves to 6-0.

6. Yodel

Yodel Active Member

Please meet Houston Nutt. He can get the least out of most, though his team will probably play its best game so far on Saturday.

7. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

why is it that alabama's offense has overachieved?

no, they've moved the ball and scored touchdowns. that's what good offenses do.

8. Blitz

Blitz Active Member

Bob Spoo was all set to guide an undefeated Eastern Illinois squad into Happy Valley, but Eastern Kentucky's 36-31 win over EIU this past weekend spoiled that.

Also of interest to a select few: Once rated as high as No. 12, Houston will stumble into Starkville for Saturday's game against Mississippi State having fallen completely out of both major polls due to its loss against UTEP.

9. D-3 Fan

D-3 Fan Well-Known Member

I'll take Iowa in a muddled slugfest any day, as a Hawkeye fanboi. I've said it two weeks ago and I'll say it again: Iowa is not flashy, or spectacular, and they sure as hell isn't going to wow you to make you happy. Like Va Tech, they carry a lunch pail to work, grind it out, and get the job done.

I'm looking forward to Saturday night's game in Kinnick. Given Iowa's history of not playing well in night games (as well as losing under the lights at Kinnick), Iowa's defense is going to get a major test against Forcier. That kid has brass cajones if he's hot.

The big story should be "Good Ricky" or "Bad Ricky" in the case of Ricky Stanzi. Can he stay consistent, 'cause if he doesn't, he will cost Iowa a game. The o-line is fine with Bulaga back, Robinson and Wegher sharing the RB duties does not bother me at all. It's all about Ricky.

10. zagoshe

As an aside -- is the end of the Bobby Bowden era officially arriving at the end of the season?

And if it does, and all signs are pointing that way, will Joe Paterno, who is ahead and will be ahead in the wins thing at the end of the season, decide it is time to give up the charade and retire?

11. derwood

derwood Active Member

Probably.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=4531451

12. zagoshe

Yeah, reading that, it is over.

It is one thing when fans and columnists are calling for your head -- but when the chairman of the board of trustees chimes in, well, you might as well forget it because you are done.

Draft saved Draft deleted