1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

College Football Week 5

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Chef2, Sep 23, 2019.

1. HappyCurmudgeon

HappyCurmudgeon Well-Known Member

Good for Alabama and Florida for using September as an extended preseason. Alabama seems like they try to schedule that opener to be tough, Duke was just the best thing available. Florida has beaten two FCS teams and Tenneesee, who may or may not be good enough to be considered an FCS team.

2. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Non-conference wins against ND, the Pac-12 favorite and Texas give the conference a lot of cred. Unlike the Big 10.

3. HappyCurmudgeon

HappyCurmudgeon Well-Known Member

I give Georgia, Auburn and LSU plenty of cred.

4. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Florida plays all of them in October. We'll find out real quick if they're actually good or not. They're in the top 10 now, and could easily be out of the top 25 by Halloween.

5. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

No doubt that was an ugly incident, especially the way it played out on both sides over social media. No way it should have gotten to that point. If Tech misses a bowl this year by going 6-6, it deserves everything it gets for having to play a second FCS to make up for the way that ECU fiasco was handled.

6. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

USU-LSU now up to 27 with 71.

7. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

I'm down for a couple shekels, getting 27.5. Wheeeee.

8. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Scared money don't make money, but I admit to being a little gunshy with LSU. I was all over Georgia Southern +28 in the season opener, figuring they'd slow things down, score about 20 points and cover the spread.
    Final score was LSU 55, Georgia Southern 3.
    Before this season I thought Utah State was a dangerous opponent for LSU. A month ago I'd have been all over that spread. Now it's right on the border of what I'd be comfortable with. If it gets over 30 I might go for it.

LSU is also my alma mater and one of the teams I still actually root for. So any time I bet against them I replay in my head the scene from "Everybody's All-American" where John Goodman's character is listening to an LSU game on the radio and the Ghost can't understand why he's upset when they make a game-winning field goal.
    Goodman explains that he just lost a ton of money betting against them and the Ghost asks incredulously, "You bet against the Tigers!?"
    I don't want to bet against the Tigers. It's bad karma.

9. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

Don't be a pussy.
    Vin Scully would bet it.

Batman likes this.
  10. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

I just think there are other bets on the board. Plus I'm two fists in -- hell, shoulder deep -- on Patriots-Redskins this Sunday. Might lay off college football entirely this weekend, or just play a cheap parlay. I put more money on Patriots-Redskins than I've ever bet on any other single game.

Draft saved Draft deleted