1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

College Football Week 5

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Chef2, Sep 23, 2019.

1. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Dig it. Gotta think that line would likely go higher with LSU public money too.

2. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

I always look at lines like that as how much does each team have to score to cover?
    Utah State might score 35, but can they keep LSU under 60? LSU had a 24-point line against Vanderbilt, gave up 38 points, and still covered. LSU has an attitude right now where they want to beat the piss out of people, and not just win.
    The over 70 1/2 is probably the better bet for this one.

3. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

Fair point.

4. exmediahack

exmediahack Well-Known Member

Utah State should be a great pick at +25.

They finally didn't cover (last week vs. Colorado State) so they're 4-1 now ATS. It's also a tough spot for LSU as they've got Utah State before Florida next week. Look ahead for them but there is one thing that worries me. Orgeron ran it up against Northwestern State two weeks ago and I could see him doing it again to get in the playoffs and get his QB pretty stats.

5. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

The Northwestern State game was disturbingly close for a half. It was 17-14 late in the second quarter, and 24-14 at halftime. Then it was 51-14 at the end of the third quarter. I'm not sure it was running it up, so much as it was finally gaining some distance. They pulled Burrow halfway through the third quarter. The Vanderbilt game was similar. Vandy kept scoring and stayed just close enough to leave the starters in.
    It's going to be a weird dance with the number. If Utah State stays within striking distance -- probably anything less than 28 points -- they'll leave the starters in and LSU will keep scoring. The 25 is a dicey number because I think anything closer is too close for comfort for LSU right now, which means they'll keep piling on until later in the game.

Another factor is the early start. This is LSU's first 11 a.m. non-conference game at home in the SEC Network era (since 2014). Gotta wonder if it affects them. The crowd almost certainly won't be as raucous as normal.

6. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

That was the first thing I checked. If Utah State had to play in Death Valley at night, that's a tall order. But an 11 a.m. non-conf game is definitely a look-ahead for fans, if not the team.

7. maumann

maumann Well-Known Member

In this case, it will be hot and muggy on Saturday in Baton Rouge. Forecast is high of 93 with 50 percent humidity.

8. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

I'm telling you boys.
    Take Utah State.

9. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

This is such bullshit. Come on with this. I'm 25 years removed (ACK!) and the girls were plenty cute then, and I'm sure it's only gotten better since they opened the admission floodgates.

2muchcoffeeman likes this.
  10. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

Jim Weaver has been dead for more than four years.

11. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

Memphis is odd.
    Fuente wanted to get the hell out of there at the first cashgrab he could find, and up to Blacksburg he goes.
    Norvell was mentioned for every bigname job last year (Louisville--Colorado--Texas Tech) and even the year before that, yet there he still sits. Oh, he's 4-0 right now, making 2.6 and change, and is due after next year.
    I think he's your next head coach at Arkansas if he goes anywhere. Morris won't last.

12. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

I stand corrected. Problem is Whit Babcock has been dead to people in my immediate area for almost as long. After Babcock pulled that stunt going after a school who wouldn't come to Blacksburg because a hurricane was barreling down on the area, it pretty much killed off any relations.

Of course, that has zero to do with Weaver. But let's just say that Babcock lived up the second syllable of his name with that crap. And, if things don't improve after getting boat-raced by Duke, they're going to be looking for a lot more than a new defensive coordinator this offseason.

Draft saved Draft deleted