1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

College Football Week 5

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by exmediahack, Sep 28, 2015.

1. exmediahack

exmediahack Well-Known Member

And it's up to -9.5. That was quick.

2. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

Bert's buyout at Arkansas through 2018 is $15.4 million and a minimum of $7.9 after that and through 2020.

That's Saban style money and for a school still paying several coaches to not coach there as I think Nolan and Houston Nutt are still cashing checks, that's even more money going out.

Arkansas gives Bret Bielema raise, extension through 2020 - CBSSports.com

3. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

When I saw you mentioning the -8, I thought that was going to be a perfect one to middle -- you could get a -8 and a +12 and take the 19-1 odds on a 10-point win.

exmediahack likes this.
  4. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

If they start 2-6, they'll have no choice but to dump him.
    Dip into the Walton Fund, Broyles Fund, and get Uncle Jerruh to put his 1/3 into it as well.

5. exmediahack

exmediahack Well-Known Member

I was actually about to write this!

6. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

Can they pull this together and money-whip Chip Kelly too? You can't cut Bielema a check and replace him with a retread. You gotta go big.

7. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

No. They'll dump Bert.....name the OC or someone the head coach for the rest of the year, and go after the flavor of the month next year....(Venables?)
    I do fully expect Texas to back up the Briggs truck to Chip Kelly after this season turns into a total flop in Austin and Philly both. You're losing athletic recruits left and right to your big brothers up north who run these high-powered offenses (TCU, Baylor, Tech....hell even SMU dipped it's toes in with Morris coaching at Westlake....) instead of 3 yards and a cloud of dust which doesn't work anymore.

8. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

My God.
    Texas Tech-Baylor over/under now at 88.
    This will end up beating Baylor/Okie State from 2 years ago.

9. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

I have a hard time seeing Strong getting fired this year. When's the last time a coach at a big program like Texas only got 2 years?

(And I don't count Kansas and Colorado in that list. I'm talking about a traditional power).

10. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

I don't see Kelly getting fired/leaving the Eagles quite that quickly. For one thing, in the NFC East, Philly could muddle to the playoffs at 9-7 on funny bounces of the football alone. For another, it'd make the owner look like an idiot for giving Chip personnel control in the first place.
    But let's say the Eagles collapse totally to 5-11 and Chip wants/has to bail. Wouldn't he be considered damaged goods by a program like Texas?

11. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

No more damaged than Steve Spurrier, Pete Carroll, Nick Saban, etc.

12. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

Never mind, BTE beat me to it. Lou Holtz was another.

Draft saved Draft deleted