1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

College Football Week 5

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by exmediahack, Sep 28, 2015.

1. exmediahack

exmediahack Well-Known Member

From the early glance...

If Wisconsin gets under -7, I would take it. Wisconsin has been underwhelming but they've covered 2 of last three. Iowa, while 4-0, hasn't played outside the state and hung on to beat Pitt at home. They're better but let's not give them the John Glenn ticker tape parade.

As Chef notes, I like Tech and 14. Don't expect that to stay high for long.

Also I LOVE Ohio State -19.5 at Indiana. Buckeyes have been sleepy the last three weeks. Also Indiana is coming off a road win at Wake where they covered. (If a game where the week before, Team A covers and Team B didn't, I'll usually lean towards Team B).

Mich St is down to -22.5 vs Purdue. They're 0-4 ATS this year. Eventually they have to cover. No one goes 0-12.

The other 0-4 ATS teams:
    Auburn -20.5 vs SJSU
    Arizona St +13.5 at UCLA
    Mizzou -4 vs Cocks

What's messed up... I don't see of these three covering. Perhaps the lines will give more value for Auburn, ASU and Mizzou before Friday.

On the Clueless Coaching game, I'll take Arkansas +7.

Minor Upset: Minnesota +6 at Northwestern. Goldy will win straight up. Every year they have a puzzling road win, this will be it.

Obscure lock of the week:
    Central Florida PK at Tulane. UCF.

2. Captain_Kirk

Captain_Kirk Well-Known Member

There's gonna be a ton of anticipation this week and then all out fervor and craziness this weekend in an hour and half radius with ND coming to Clemson and Bama visiting Athens.

3. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

I like the Vols to knock the Razorbacks all over the field for, oh, about three quarters, head into the fourth with a 31-10 lead.

And lose 32-31.

Ace likes this.
  4. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Auburn is actually 0-9 ATS since the Texas A&M game last year.

5. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

This has to be the week that injuries and being Notre Dame catches up to Notre Dame. They already needed a miracle to beat a garbage ACC team on the road. Clemson getting 2.5 seems awful safe.

6. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

However down you want to be on Butch Jones, and it sure sounds well-founded, you'd much rather have him than Bielema in the fourth quarter.

exmediahack likes this.
  7. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

And it appears Georgia Tech was wildly overrated.

Then again, Clemson didn't exactly set the world on fire last time out against Louisville.

8. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

The natives are starting to get really restless in Fayetteville.
    1-3 with @ Tenn, @ Ala, vs Aub upcoming.
    Buyout somewhere around 12 million.

9. exmediahack

exmediahack Well-Known Member

Bert is 0-10 at Arkansas in games decided by less than 10.

I've always been critical on Bielema's willingness to play for overtime instead of winning.

He's 2-6 career in OT and has lost his last six OT games. The first two wins were Cal Poly and Fresno St at Camp Randall. 0-6 vs his conference opponents.

This might be a spot where Butch has an advantage late in games.

Last edited: Sep 28, 2015
  10. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Probably doable since they didn't have to pay off Petrino and are surely done paying Nutt by now.

11. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Too bad it's really not practical for Missouri to can its OC and special teams coaches to try to save the season. Mauk doesn't really look much different from last year, but he doesn't have a corps of receivers who can hang on to the ball, and the line doesn't have a good scheme and was wildly overrated as far as talent. Thus it doesn't really matter who is in at QB; Lock is as likely to bog down on a drive as is Mauk. And the kickoff teams can't generate yards or stop yardage, another indication of an overall recruiting lapse.

12. swingline

swingline Well-Known Member

Oh, I'm not saying Lock would do any better than Mauk, but it would at least give those of us in the stands something to talk about. Finishing above .500 is about the most the Tiggers can hope for at this point.

And more to your first point, Pinkel is loyal to the point of blindness when it comes to his coaches.

Draft saved Draft deleted