1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

College football Week 5 thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Steak Snabler, Sep 25, 2013.

1. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

That surprises me unless --- and this is a distinct possibility --- Wazzu just wasn't paying what other BCS schools were paying for games. Doubtful that a Midwest school wants to play out there cause they aren't going to be recruiting Seattle much anyway. So it's either a Mountain West school or some lower-tier school or give up a conference game. I hope they got enough money to feel like it was worth their while.

2. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

He needs a couple of years away from the spotlight, ala Rick Neuheisel. People have short memories. Wonder if would accept a smaller school coaching job like Bobby Petrino and Phil Fulmer?

3. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

The funny thing is, I wonder how he would build a staff. Al Davis hired the assistants in Oakland. His dad coming along helped him land the Tennessee gig and the SC gig.

I don't see Monte and Ed heading to New Mexico State with him. I don't see him as a program builder. But then again, I'm sure there is some AD dying to hire a coach with a 35-20 college record who has led the Vols and the Trojans.
    I'm guessing he'll end up in Seattle with the rest of the Trojan witness relocation project.

4. UConn cans Paul Pasqualoni after 0-4 start, loss to Buffalo.

5. Stoney

Stoney Well-Known Member

The difference being that Neuheisel had a prior record of being a winner justifying UCLA to take a chance on him.

Kiffin doesn't have that to sell. He's been an abject failure at all three jobs, caused all sorts of problems at all three jobs, and his daddy is getting too old to help him any longer. What reason would any decent program have for hiring him again?

6. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

That and Neuheisel is a UCLA alum so selling him to their fans wasn't that tough despite the layoff.

7. Bodie_Broadus

Bodie_Broadus Active Member

If Kiffin comes to UW in any capacity, I am done as a Huskies fan.

If Sarkisian leaves the Huskies should elevate Justin Wilcox, what he has done with that defense is amazing. The last year Nick Holt was there they were awful.

8. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Yeah, Neuheisel made sense for UCLA. Was surprised they ditched him so quickly.

My point was after he got ditched at UCLA, he wasn't getting a head coaching job anywhere for a while. Need to lay low for a while, maybe the name resurfaces a few years down the road.

I could see USC wanting to talk with Sarkisian. Don't know if he'd make the jump, but it wouldn't be inconceivable.

I can't imagine Washington, or any other BCS schools, hiring Kiffin as a head coach right now. Maybe an assistant. Maybe a smaller school. But not head coach at a BCS school.

9. mpcincal

mpcincal Well-Known Member

I know Urban Meyer and Ohio State get a lot of criticism on here (a lot of it warranted), but I have to give them props here:

http://deadspin.com/entire-osu-team-lines-up-to-hug-reporter-after-his-daug-1428252946

10. murphyc

murphyc Well-Known Member

You would stop supporting your alma mater based on someone who could be hired as an assistant coach?
    For the record, I don't see Sark leaving UW for USC, nor do I see UW being dumb enough to hire Kiffin. Sark has invested a lot in Seattle and I think he wants to get some reward for the hard work. But since UW is my least favorite school and Kiffin's record/reputation are both not so great, I would love to see it.

11. Bodie_Broadus

Bodie_Broadus Active Member

Actually, I didn't graduate from UW. My mom did and I went there for a year, I grew up not far from Husky Stadium in the Roosevelt area.

My alma mater is UNLV.

12. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Yeah, but they never would have hired him right after he got dumped by Washington in the midst of a scandal. He needed some down time. So does Kiffin.

Draft saved Draft deleted