1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

College Football Week 5 thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Steak Snabler, Sep 23, 2014.

1. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

I'm a Big 10 graduate and live in the Pacific Northwest, but thus far this season, I have to agree with the SEC fanbois. The SEC should have AT LEAST two teams in the Final Four.

If Florida State finally implodes and the Pac-12 beats itself up in conference play, you could make an argument for the two SEC division champs, SEC West runner-up and the Big 12 champ in the playoff. Especially if Georgia wins out.

It won't happen, but that scenario might give you the four best teams.

2. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

Penn State is 4-0.
    But your point stands.

3. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Penn State's win at Rutgers is decent. Rutgers is decent.

4. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Indiana at Missouri is probably going to end up as the most impressive non-conference victory for the whole conference.

That isn't much.

5. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

That, and when it comes bowl pick 'em time, fans of the losing SECCG team are a little deflated, having just made a trip to Atlanta to see whatever hopes they had get dashed. Makes for a pretty uninspiring candidate to travel to a bowl in 3 weeks.

6. nmmetsfan

nmmetsfan Active Member

Penn State's win over Rutgers. Oh, nevermind.

7. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

That's what Alabama said after getting crushed by Oklahoma in the Sugar Bowl. Of course, before that, Saban was saying that no way in hell the coaches would allow that mindset, pointing to the ugly loss to Utah a few years back.

It happens, though.

8. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

ESPN.com feature on Watson Brown, whose next loss will be his 200th:

http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/11578167/how-watson-brown-lost-more-games-coach-college-football-history

9. albert77

albert77 Well-Known Member

Don't laugh, but I could actually see a scenario where the SEC gets NO teams in the Final Four. It goes like this:

In the East, Georgia and South Carolina already each have a conference loss, and I'm betting Missouri will have one by the end of the week when they lose at Carolina (which would give the Tiggers two defeats overall, effectively knocking them out of consideration). Tennessee, Florida and even Kentucky are fully capable of giving Georgia and/or Carolina a second conference loss.

In the West. frankly, I don't see one single team that anyone can point to as a guaranteed win, and you could easily see all of them taking turns beating up on each other to the point where the West winner also has two conference losses.

So, you would get two teams each with at least two SEC losses, and maybe three losses overall, playing in Atlanta, for basically the right to go no further than the Sugar Bowl. Granted, all of that is highly unlikely, and the committee could well take the SEC champ anyway, two or three losses be damned, but with the parity in the SEC this year, it is certainly a possibility.

10. murphyc

murphyc Well-Known Member

Love this quote from the comments section: "Lane Kiffin would SMASH that record if only someone would give him a chance."

11. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

I'm not sure that anyone will ever touch that record. Brown combined coaching in places where coaching careers go to die with winning just often and big enough to protect his flanks. Add in that he got to spend several years as his own AD at UAB, where the UA Board of Trustees was far more interested in insuring mediocre performance than in building a winning program.

In twenty-seven years as a D1-A Head Coach he has had three years with seven wins, his high water mark. He won just often enough to keep the wolves at bay, and specialized in keeping enough body bag games close to make things look good. He got the one big win over LSU under Saban while at UAB, while managing a number of moral victories, losing to the likes of Oklahoma, Tennessee, and Georgia by a touchdown or less. He's a master at keeping a game close, running the clock, and hoping to get a break at the end that give a chance to win.

I can't see many other coaches getting the chance to coach so long while winning so few.

12. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

This is an absolute impossibility.

Draft saved Draft deleted