1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

College Football Week 5 thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Steak Snabler, Sep 23, 2014.

1. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Unless Missouri somehow wins the SEC, the Big 10 has no shot.

2. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Not to mention Michigan State is probably going to have to beat Ohio State twice, and there's no guarantee they can do that.

And anyway, D'Antonio bragging "but we've got the best loss!" is kind of a stupid way to go about things.

3. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

It's foolish when fans and commentators do straight line projections based on 25 percent of the season. For a coach to do it is just plain crazy. He should at least have waited until a few more SEC teams get their first loss.

4. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Sounds like the "good cancer"

5. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I do agree wit Pat Forde that it's ludicrous for the playoff committee to put out polls. I guess fans need something to bitch about for a few weeks. It's all coming down to conference champs and near conference champs. An interesting question will be does a team that misses out on a conference championship game due to a loss have an edge on, say an undefeated team that loses a conference championship or a Big-12 runner-up for an at-large spot?

6. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

It's always seemed that way, at least in the SEC. SECCG loser seemed to get shoved to the No. 3 or so bowl slot, leapfrogged by a one-loss team without a recent loss.

7. Steak Snabler

That's not always a bad thing. Division alignments are arbitrary. I don't think anyone really thought SEC East champion Missouri was a better team last year than SEC West runner-up Alabama.

8. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

They weren't, and as is usually the case with the team that loses the conference championship, it was their second loss.

9. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

Looking at the record as of today, the Big 10 isn't impressing anybody. Nebraska looks ok, and Penn St, OSU, and Wisconsin all have a loss. The ACC has FSU looking good, but I don't buy Ga. Tech, NC St. or Duke, record be hanged. The Big 12 has Oklahoma and Baylor looking legit. The Pac-12 looks respectable as of now.

Compare any of those leagues to the SEC West. Sure, that division is going to start getting sorted out over the next three weeks or so, but for now there is no conference out there that looks anywhere near as good or deep. They've already started beating up the SEC East.

Lord knows I'm no slobbering SEC fanboi, but that's where things stand as of now. I know it chafes the other conferences, in some cases quite rightly... but the two *worst* teams in the SEC West are 3-1.

10. Steak Snabler

I don't know how you can say Baylor "looks legit." They've played an absolute dogshit schedule. SMU might be the worst FBS team in the country and Northwestern State is an FCS team. Buffalo is Baylor's best win, and Buffalo lost to Army.

Baylor has not been the same team on the road the last few years. They have to travel to Texas, West Virginia and Oklahoma later this season, so we'll find out about them soon enough.

That's not to say Baylor won't be a 10- or 11-win team this year, but they haven't proven anything yet.

11. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

It's going to be like replay. Unless there's indisputable evidence, or damn strong evidence anyway, the default mode for the committee is going to be to select four conference champs. That's already pissing one conference off, which is baked into the cake. You don't want the outs forming alliances in the offseason.

12. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

I'm not sure how great the Pac-12 looks. Oregon looks good (but always manages to step on its toes at some point). USC lost to BC, and UCLA barely hung on against mediocre Virginia, mediocre Memphis and horrible Texas. Stanford's non-con test comes later at Notre Dame. Other than Oregon, nobody who is undefeated has played anybody.

If Oregon loses during the season, I could see the Pac-12 getting shut out. And if it's a no P12/B14 playoff, I expect to hear quite a bit of "hell, we'll just go back to the old days of the Rose Bowl, it was better that way anyway!"

Draft saved Draft deleted