1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

College Football Week 5 thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Steak Snabler, Sep 23, 2014.

1. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

If being the 7th- or 8th-best team in the SEC counts as big boy football, I suppose so.

2. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

They're 1-0 in the conference. They're not making a run for anything yet.

3. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

Think what Indiana would do in the SEC.

4. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

Ole Miss, No. 10 in the country, struggled to beat Memphis High tonight.

Texas A&M, No. 6 in the country, struggled to beat Arkansas, the consensus worst team in the SEC West. A&M, picked West-Sixth in the preseason, is ranked solely on the strength of beating South Carolina in the opener. The same team that Mizzou beat tonight.

Is any team in the SEC West really playing big boy football yet?

5. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

Mizzou is 8-1 in its last nine SEC games. Not bad against the Vortex of Power.

6. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Who let you out of your room? I need to investigate.

7. HappyCurmudgeon

HappyCurmudgeon Well-Known Member

Yeah, he's won 33 games in the last three years. If the seat is getting too warm they will give him another chair.

8. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

It's possible Memphis might not be as terrible as it's been in recent years. It did go on the road and gave UCLA all it could handle, then hung tough tonight against Ole Miss.
    Similarly, I think the consensus on Arkansas was that it was easily the worst team in the West, but still an OK team that'll probably win seven or eight games.
    There are other teams in the West with issues. LSU is going to play quarterback roulette all season long, Ole Miss is still Ole Miss, Alabama has holes in its defense. Next week is going to tell us a lot about the SEC West. Three huge games within the division will definitely shake some stuff loose.

9. murphyc

murphyc Well-Known Member

Oh I am enjoying it, believe me. ;-)
    Cougs gave up a befuddling pick-6, a punt return for a TD and a long run for a TD. All in the first minutes. Halliday threw another bad pick late in the first half while the Cougs were driving. But the team showed incredible heart.
    The Cougs have played Oregon tough several times in recent years, then gone crap the next game. Like in 2012, when they got pummeled by Utah. This team has shown a resolve not seen at WAZZU in years. I so badly want to go to Homecoming next week.

10. Flip Wilson

Flip Wilson Well-Known Member

SMU lets one slip away today, losing to TCU, 56-0.

The Ponies have 177 yards rushing....this season.

11. HappyCurmudgeon

I think LSU is worst than Arkansas this year. They have QB issues and run defense issues.

Sad thing is the SECW is still eons ahead of the crap-assed East Division.

12. HappyCurmudgeon

I saw the score when it was 42-0, thought they still had a chance to pull it out.

Draft saved Draft deleted