1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

College Football Week 5: Help us raise money for needy John L. Smiths

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Versatile, Sep 25, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. young-gun11

young-gun11 Member

I don't know of any conference who could put their best 5 against the SEC's best 5 and win 3. Sorry. SEC > everyone.

2. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

3. young-gun11

young-gun11 Member

Thanks for fixing my post. We came up with MAYBE losing 1 game vs. PAC-12.

4. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

I would like to see Alabama-Oregon in the championship. I don't think any other team has a chance against Alabama.

Depending how you rank your next four, the Pac-12 could go 2-3 or 3-2.

Alabama-Oregon -- Alabama
    LSU-Stanford -- toss-up, Stanford based on how LSU handled Auburn
    Georgia-USC -- USC
    Florida-Oregon State -- Florida
    South Carolina-UCLA -- toss-up

5. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

South Carolina-UCLA is a toss up? We live in very different worlds. Connor Shaw is mostly healthy now.

Don't even get me started on how ridiculous it is to say LSU-Stanford is a toss up.

And Georgia has the best pass rush in the country. USC's line is shit.

6. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

I'd call Florida-Oregon State a toss-up at best.

7. LongTimeListener

This is what it comes down to with the SEC -- you just believe LSU is good because they're good in the SEC. Auburn is not good, and that is evident from their trips outside the conference. And LSU barely won and could barely even score. But because they play near Alabama and recruited a bunch of guys that everybody thought were awesome, LSU is considered awesome.

What Stanford's defense did against USC is the most impressive non-Alabama showing of the entire college football season so far. We'll obviously never know who would win head-to-head, but I have a hard time believing LSU's offense would be a stiffer test than USC's.

8. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

I have years of non-conference and bowl records to back me up. Stanford hasn't played on the road. The love affair with the SEC is the result of the SEC beating everyone all the time.

This weekend's Stanford-Washington game should be illuminating. LSU beat Washington 41-3.

9. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Regarding the bowl results, last year has nothing to do with this year.

10. LongTimeListener

If we're playing that game, we can put it in the books that LSU is a field goal better than Louisiana-Monroe.

11. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

I have no idea what this means, but it amuses me:

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  12. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

What your missing, though, is how Stanford's offense would do against LSU's defense.
    No matter how shitty LSU's offense was against Auburn, the defense only gave up 10 points and less than 200 total yards. In four games this season, LSU hasn't given up more than 220 total yards in any of them.
    It's what LSU and Alabama do. They choke you out. If you let them get to 17 points (and many times less) the game is over. Unless you're a super-charged offense (and Stanford isn't this season) you're not getting to that number.
    LSU's offense might struggle against Stanford. They might only score 14 or 17 or 21 points. It would be plenty.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.