1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

College Football Week 5: Help us raise money for needy John L. Smiths

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Versatile, Sep 25, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Della9250

Della9250 Well-Known Member

Michigan could easily be starting at five losses — Michigan State has the D to shut down Denard and they have to go to Nebraska and Ohio State. Not to mention that I think Purdue and Northwestern are now 50-50 games.

Of course, the Big 10 is that bad I could see them not losing again.

2. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Any of the 10 teams eligible for the title could win it this year.

Except Indiana.

3. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

Also not sure why the "Floyd of Rosedale" game is being played in September.

Whatever.

Beat those Gophers.

4. murphyc

murphyc Well-Known Member

The Cougs played the Ducks tough for a while in 2010 (nearly scored a TD late in the third, which would have made it a 6-point game; plus Barner got knocked out cold that game) and 2011. But I seriously doubt the game's going to be that close this year. I still want to know why Jeff Tuel isn't back in, but that would require Leach to divulge info.
    I'm doing what I can to help out my alma mater. I started a rumor the game will indeed be in Pullman, not Seattle, with the theory being the Ducks believe it and go to Pullman by mistake. Yes, I think that's the only way the Cougs could win this one. ;D

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 1, 2015
  5. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

http://www.businessinsider.com/nebraska-wisconsin-unifroms-photos-2012-8?op=1

This should make for interesting viewing under the lights.

6. JosephC.Myers

JosephC.Myers Active Member

Penn State is still a part of the Big 10, so they'll be in that noon ESPN game for the next however long.

7. At Kyle Field? Maybe. In Bama? I just don't see it.

A&M still has some issues to work out - can Manziel go deep on good teams? Will Christine Michael stop going to the Mike Goodson School of Killing Your NFL Value by Sitting on Your Ass Your Senior Year? Will the tackling be there?

Put that against a Bond villain in Nick Saban in Tuscaloosa and I'll be surprised if A&M's within 17. Of course, I want to see them play Arkansas before I put any of this in stone. Despite the turds they've laid, Arkansas can be a litmus test.

8. Armchair_QB

Scary thing is that if you look at the rest of the West right now A&M might be the third-best team in the division. MSU- who knows?; Auburn- meh; Ole Miss- dumpster fire; Arkansas- landfill fire.

The SEC is pretty average this year once get you get past Bama, LSU and possibly Georgia.

9. I had A&M as fourth (along with MSU) at the beginning of the year, behind Bama, LSU and Arky. But, like you said, MSU hasn't played much so we don't know.

If A&M smacks Arkansas around, and their only blemish is a first-game loss to a top-15 team, could they conceivably sneak into the Top 25? That's not bad for the third team in a division. Add up Georgia, and top-20 types in Florida and SC and the SEC's still a pretty big dog.

10. Armchair_QB

And the SEC circular argument begins.

11. Armchair_QB

Presser scheduled for 11 CT in Lincoln to discuss "future of Husker athletics."

Speculation is that it has something to do with Tom Osborne.

http://www.cbssports.com/collegefootball/blog/dennis-dodd/20375676/presser-today-to-discuss-future-of-nebraska-athletics

EDIT: Osborne is retiring.

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/college/story/2012/09/26/tom-osborne-to-step-down-as-nebraska-athletics-director/57845280/1

12. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Gee . . . I don't see Phil Steele's name ANYWHERE on this week's sainted Power Sweep newsletter. Hmmmm.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.