1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

College Football Week 4

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Chef2, Sep 16, 2019.

1. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

It’s amazing how you can reliably count on The Pirate and Andy Reid to poop the bed at least once a season.

2. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

You're Colorado under 4 wins, IIRC, not looking too good either. First road win over a ranked opponent in 17 years for the Buffaloes.

3. ChrisLong

ChrisLong Well-Known Member

Went to a concert last night. Got home and flipped on the tube (which was already on ESPN), while noting it was 11:30. Thought to myself that the UCLA-Wazzu game started 4 hours ago. Damn, it was still going, be it less than a minute left. Pretty incredible. Nine TD passes for the Wazzu QB, 50 points for UCLA in the second half.

4. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

The latter. It was an awkward response in that it really didn't fit either original quote well, but yes, I've seen this time and again when it is an SEC team and SEC refs. Double to triply true when SEC plays a G5.

Last edited: Sep 22, 2019
    Spartan Squad likes this.
  5. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

Wow, there is Couging it, and Couging it. That was COUGING IT.

Batman and ChrisLong like this.
  6. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

I tried like mad to stay awake for the whole Wazzu game. Finally, theveyekids clamped shut at 49-46. That was as fun and as wild as it gets.

7. exmediahack

exmediahack Well-Known Member

I wildly estimated Colorado because of what I saw last year. I saw a team that quit on their coach and skill players with terrible body language.

8. Scout

Scout Well-Known Member

You can't dive at a guy's knees like that.

I know he didn't hit him, but that was a shady play.

9. Neutral Corner

I know some of y'all have to get tired of me talking up UAB football, but I'm proud of the kids and extremely impressed with the coaching staff.

The team graduated 35 seniors after last season. Picked #8 in C-USA this preseason after winning the conference championship last season. All starting WR's gone, 4 of 5 OL gone, 7 starters on D gone, and of the four remaining starters our preseason all-conference CB goes out with a season ending injury before game 1. I will freely admit that the SOS is bottom of the barrel, although I feel that even that was pre-planned by a coaching staff which knew about the impending loss of players when the schedule was being made.

Anyhow, 3-0, one of the 23 remaining undefeated teams and 14 straight wins at home dating back to the first game back from the dead.

Johnston is #6 in passing efficiency.

They were up 28-3 on South Alabama at halftime. Took the (deferred) 2nd half kick-off and went 85 yards in 15 plays, took 8 1/2 off the clock, scored to go up 35-3, followed by holding South to three and out. Game was effectively over then. 3rd Q time of possession was 12 minutes.

Now if we can just dodge Tennessee trying to steal Clark after the season. I'm almost scared to beat them at this point.

10. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Speaking of second-tier Alabama schools, what the hell has happened to South Alabama the past couple of weeks?
    They gave Nebraska a game in Week 1, beat FCS Jackson State the next week, and then have been outscored 77-9 by Memphis and UAB the last two games. I thought they were halfway decent, maybe a .500 team or so, and have done a quick 180.

11. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

Have we not talked about the insanely shitty headline in The State after yesterday’s South Carolina Missouri game? (May have missed it, if so, I apologize)

12. Neutral Corner

Memphis was legit last year and is again. They're fast at the skill positions. UAB's QB is very good. He ran two quick passing drives for TD's in the first quarter, which opened up the running game. UAB's defense held them to 2-11 on third down . I think that the bottom line is that they're just not as athletically talented as either Memphis or UAB.

Draft saved Draft deleted