1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

College Football Week 4 thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Steak Snabler, Sep 15, 2014.

1. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Winston aside, I can't see any franchise drafting a QB in the first round and then effectively benching him for three years. No way in hell that happens with that kind of investment.

2. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

Not today, anyway. Might have happened 15 years ago, but not now.

3. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Yeah, Dan, seriously -- three years? That just hasn't been the NFL way of doing business for the last two decades. The Packers made Rodgers do it, but it was not for his benefit and it almost caused him to leave (and did ultimately end up causing Favre to leave).

I would put money right now on Winston starting his first game as a pro. I would put a lot of money on him being the starter by the end of his rookie season.

And, seriously, Kevin Hogan. That guy sucks. You might be making too much of these off-field character things that NFL teams have proved time and again they don't care about if you can play.

4. jr/shotglass

From footballperspective.com:

Only 20 of the 96 quarterbacks drafted in the first round during the 47-year period from the advent of the NFL draft through last year failed to start a game during their rookie seasons. And seven of those 20 quarterbacks were drafted in the last ten years: Jake Locker, Brady Quinn, Aaron Rodgers, Jason Campbell, Philip Rivers, J.P. Losman, and Carson Palmer. And of the 22 quarterbacks drafted in the first round from 1967 to 1979, just three didn’t start a game as rookies: Don Horn, Jerry Tagge, and Steve Pisarkiewicz.

5. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

The two most-recent well-known cases of guys sitting a couple of years were McNair and Rodgers, and both of those worked out well.

But yeah, we haven't seen much of that lately. Bridgewater, Manziel and Bortles all sitting to start this year kind of bucked a trend.

If not for Derek Carr, there wouldn't have been a rookie QB starting in week 1 for the first time since 2007.

Still, there's a difference in starting from say, Week 12 on (as I'm guessing many guys in the distant past did) and starting from Day 1, as has been the trend of late.

6. jr/shotglass

Twitter posts have Winston sitting out tomorrow's entire game.

7. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

AP:

http://collegefootball.ap.org/article/florida-state-suspends-winston-entire-game

8. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

In what fucking universe does it make any sense that the Clemson-FSU line went from 19 to 21 since 10:00 last night?

Edit: Looked at the wrong slot. Number down to 10.

9. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

Maryland at Syracuse and it's 2/3 empty. Thought 'Cuse was a big time program

10. trifectarich

trifectarich Well-Known Member

I've got to find a different game to watch. If it's not the Koch brothers that are advertising, it's the NRA. No f______g way I'm putting up with this for 3 hours.

11. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

15 years of "Meh" kills a program's buzz. I went to Pitt so I know a bit about this.

12. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

Michigan State and Georgia up a combined 94-0 just before halftime.

Draft saved Draft deleted