1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

College football Week 4 running thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by dooley_womack1, Sep 20, 2009.

1. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Funny thing about the polls - you could have a dominant numbers 1, 2 and 3 and a "we'll we've got to put somebody in" at number 4, 5 and 6. Always wished the AP would allow pollsters to leave spots blank. Why reward teams for just being a little less crappy than others?
    I agree that Cincinnatti is pretty good. Not as flashy as other teams, but they seem to be pretty steady.

2. mb

mb Active Member

This year is just all kind of fucked up, IMO. All people keep talking about is how TEAM X isn't good enough to be ranked No. whatever. (Ole Miss at 4, LSU at 4, Southern Cal at 7, and so on and so on).

Frankly, I don't think there a damn bit of difference between No. 4 and about No. 15 right now. You've got Florida, Texas and Alabama that are all, apparently, pretty damn tough. The rest of them, I think you can pretty much throw in a hat and let them fall where they may.

3. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

Losing to any of those teams, it would still most certainly be held against USC. But if you want to cite track records of programs, the teams you listed -- Duke, Northwestern, Mississippi State, Vanderbilt and Syracuse -- have not come anywhere near a national championship in the past 20 years. The Huskies have not only won one, but for the most part, they have been a consistent winner through the years, unlike most of the teams you just listed.

Washington was atrocious last year, no doubt about it. But that doesn't mean Washington will be atrocious in 2009. We're still only four weeks into the season, so we're still sorting out pretenders from contenders. To assume Washington is terrible, based on 2008 and 2008 alone, would be a mistake.

4. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

Oz is right.

A history of sucking did not prevent the 2008 Tampa Bay Rays from being a quality baseball team.

A history of sucking did not prevent the 1969 Mets from being World champions.

A (very misleading) 0-12 season in 2008 doesn't mean the 2009 Washington Huskies can't be a 7-5, bowl-eligible team in 2009.

Live in the present.

5. Second Thoughts

Second Thoughts Active Member

Polls always favor the pollsters' favorite teams. USC and Ohio St are still ranked high even though neither is worthy of it right now. And if Cal beats USC, do they drop below Ohio St, which is ranked too high?

LSU at 4 is a stretch but who else goes there? Look at all the one-loss teams already. And they're not going to stay there. They have to play both Fla and Alabama. Georgia should be higher than the Dawgs are now.

6. Blitz

Blitz Active Member

There's just an awful lot of parity in college football, basketball and baseball.
    Any team, on any day, can give another squad fits.
    The days of Michigan and OU and Nebraska and USC dominating the football world are long gone.
    South Florida and Boise State will kick you're ass, people.
    Be ready, or else.

7. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

i kind of think people need to stop downplaying boise state. they have lost 1 game the last 3 seasons. they beat oklahoma in a bowl. they're part of the big boys now. (and no, i'm not a boise fan, but i can appreciate their rise the last 5-6 years).

8. StaggerLee

StaggerLee Well-Known Member

I totally agree. Gone are the days when Michigan, Nebraska, USC and Oklahoma have the best facilities. Gone are the days when only the top 10 teams play on TV.

These days, schools like Tulsa and Boise State and Utah are able to convince kids, who 10 years ago would have gone to Oklahoma, Nebraska or USC and sat the bench, to come to their school and play immediately and play for a championship and national exposure.

Personally, I like it. And I'm a fan of one of Michigan. I personally like the smaller schools being able to make up the huge financial gap.

A lot of people hate parity. I think it makes the league, the games, much better. Seriously, think back to 15 years ago. Was it really fun the first four weeks when the big boys were winning 70-0?.

9. murphyc

murphyc Well-Known Member

I'm just not sure either the Pac 10 or Big 10 have much this year. In the Pac 10, USC has its annual unexpected conference loss (which I guess makes it expected by now) and then doesn't do much with its starting QB, at home to WAZZU. Cal forgot where Autzen was located, Oregon struggled in its first three games, etc. On a side note, the Cougs may have found their QB after the Lobster stunk his way to the bench.
    As for the Big 10, Michigan nearly fell at home to Indiana, PSU imploded at home last night, tOSU had two pretty ugly games and Iowa should have lost to UNI.
    As for USC up to No. 7, you've got to be kidding me.

10. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

I'm here. You were right. Somehow.

I usually scratch my head at your picks, and I still will probably, but this time you were right. And honestly, I'm glad you were right. I just didn't see it, but that was classic VT football. I hope it wasn't a one-time thing (against a good opponent).

11. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

i wasn't asking about you because i wanted to gloat, i just thought you'd be excited for the dusting of miami. big win for tech.

(not sure about your head scratching over my picks, but cest la vive.)

12. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

No, it's cool. Gloat away. You deserve it with that ballsy pick. And yes, I was very excited about that game. It was a good Saturday. Terrible Sunday with the Skins, but at least I have Saturday to remember. :)

Draft saved Draft deleted