1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

College Football Week 4 Running Thread: Jim Harbaugh's Secret Handshake

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Chef2, Sep 17, 2012.

1. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Could be her. Hard to tell with her clothes on.

2. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

The University of Southwestern Louisiana had a breakout box in its game notes and media guides emphasizing "We are USL." It pointed out no other NCAA school had those initials, said do not call us Southwest Louisiana or SW La. or this or that. Please call us USL. About the time many people finally started getting it right, the school changed its name -- to the University of Louisiana at Lafayette -- to be less directional, less regional. Only, the name went from pointing out what part of the state it was in to referencing what city in that part of the state. So, you know, a more narrow focus, actually.

In reality, it wanted to be, simply, the University of Louisiana, and it has a big chip on its shoulder if you don't use that name. It needed at least one other school to go along with the name change, so it sweet-talked Northeast Louisiana University into the move. So, UL-Lafayette and UL-Monroe.

Dumb and Dumber, I wrote in a 1999 column for which I got a good bit of hate mail. I think there have been baseball games between Louisiana and Louisiana, or UL vs. UL, on the uniforms and/or the caps. But the school in Lafayette considers itself the University of Louisiana, despite being only one of nine schools in the University of Louisiana System, and one of two with University of Louisiana in its name.

3. StaggerLee

StaggerLee Well-Known Member

To be fair, it also happens to be the largest university in the University of Louisiana system (by a considerable margin over the other "UL"). The university also originally changed its name (successfully) in 1984, but the state legislature nullified the name change.

The animosity about the name change stems from the notion that the "pro-LSU" legislature blocked the original name change because of a perceived threat to LSU's position as the flagship school in the state (a position I've never heard anyone at USL/ULL say they wanted to grab from LSU).

As I once wrote (back when people like you were poking fun at the name change ;D ), it's really no different than UT in Austin, UT in Knoxville, LSU in Baton Rouge, UM in Ann Arbor or any other university-city name school dropping the city name.

Anyway, back to the original thread now.

4. Rumpleforeskin

Rumpleforeskin Active Member

Looks like the same one on and off.

5. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

For all the money NBC is paying Notre Dame for football rights, you would hope there would be a little more cooperation.

The Michigan at Notre Dame game should have been played LAST week, when NBC had nothing to show, instead of this week, when The Tour Championship has the afternoon all booked up, forcing the game to be played at night. Seems we've had too many instances like this in the last two years, where it's either feast or famine when it comes to scheduling.

6. Johnny Dangerously

People like me. I like that!

7. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Remember, this is the state where counties are called "parishes" and where the state holiday is Mardi Gras. (I went to HS there, so I'm allowed to rip on it.)

8. Johnny Dangerously

Not seeing the rip. :)

9. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Well, it's not all about N.D. (I know -- shocking!) Other schools' scheduling comes into effect, especially those that -- gasp! -- play in a conference. It's also a Ryder Cup year on home soil (live and in color on NBC), so, the following week was out of the question too for a home game (Irish are off) so something had to give. And playing a night game at Notre Dame Stadium is probably a trade-off for the earlier night game at Michigan Stadium against the Irish.

10. albert77

albert77 Well-Known Member

I would imagine that nothing pisses off a Ragin' fan more than when you refer to it as U La-La. Which, of course, is what I call it. ;D

11. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

Arizona +24 at Oregon
    Wake -7 vs. Army
    WVU -27.5 vs. Maryland
    Kansas (!!!) +9.5 at Northern Illinois

12. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

I may have to jump in on Arizona @ Oregon as well.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 1, 2015
Draft saved Draft deleted