1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

College Football Week 4 Running Thread: Jim Harbaugh's Secret Handshake

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Chef2, Sep 17, 2012.

1. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

A crackerjack of a week in store; And it all gets started Wednesday as Kent State travels to Buffalo. Eureka.

BYU @ Boise Thursday.

Baylor at Louzeeanna-Muhnroe on Friday.

Saturday games:

Maryland @ West Virgina; Edsall may not last the entire game, let alone the season.

Missouri @ South Carolina; This will not end well for the kittens.

Cal @ USC; Is there a more unlikeable human being on the planet than Lane Kiffin?

LSU @ Auburn; Tigers in a drubbing.

Michigan @ Notre Dame: I predict throwback Adidas jerseys.

Kansas State @ Oklahoma: Wagons big.

Clemson @ Florida State: Wasn't there a picture of Bowden's daughter on here at one time? :eek:

Arizona @ Oregon: This will be a blast to watch.
    O/U on combined snaps: 200

2. joe king

joe king Active Member

Don't know what the line is, but give me the Warhawks.

3. Della9250

Della9250 Well-Known Member

Too bad all of the big Saturday games are all going to be going at the same time.

4. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I see this schedule and I immediately can't wait until NFL Sunday. :D

5. young-gun11

young-gun11 Member

Just for reference, in the Warhawks' game notes last week, there was an entire 3x3 block devoted to calling them "ULM". They are NOT Louisiana-Monroe or La. Monroe or any other variation you'd like to use. It's ULM and that's that, apparently. Sounds like a case of no identity. Of course, they've won 4 times over SEC schools and should have won a fifth Saturday.

6. Donny in his element

Donny in his element Well-Known Member

That's pretty common for directional and hyphenated schools. They are trying to brand themselves. USF, UAB, UCF, UNLV and UTEP have been pretty successful at being known primarily by their acronyms.

7. young-gun11

young-gun11 Member

I've been trying to brand "J'ville State" as "Jax State" for a while now. Seems HBCU JSU wants ALL the abbreviations to themselves, though.

8. RubberSoul1979

RubberSoul1979 Active Member

USF (the Skip Holtz team) is the most curious to me of these acronyms.

They're not even IN South Florida (Tampa is definitely not). The University of San Francisco Dons already claimed the "USF" moniker years ago. By virtue that Bill Russelll winning the NCAA title is a bigger deal than earning a No. 2 ranking in the 2007 season, I give the nod to the Dons over the Bulls on this one.

P.S. - Jim Leavitt built that program from scratch. Why is he not there anymore?

9. albert77

albert77 Well-Known Member

My boss says she is a proud graduate of NLU, and refuses to call it ULM. Oh, and they're still the Indians.

As for USF and Jim Leavitt, I believe they went into a bit of a decline and then he got fired over some sort of scandal that I can't recall the details of at the moment. Couldn't have happened to a nicer guy, because I haven't encountered many coaches who were bigger pricks than Jim Leavitt.

10. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Ya think?

11. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Seeing as they became Louisiana-Monroe because they didn't want to be a nameless directional school anymore, they can respectfully go fuck themselves. I'm calling them whatever I want.
    Trying to rebrand themselves "ULM" and only "ULM" is like the guy who has been called Jimmy or Jim all his life, has the first real bit of success in his career, and suddenly starts telling everyone to call him "James" in haughty tones.

12. Rumpleforeskin

Rumpleforeskin Active Member

Her?

[​IMG]

Draft saved Draft deleted