1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

College football Week 3 thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Cosmo, Sep 13, 2021.

1. ChrisLong

ChrisLong Well-Known Member

You got it about right.

Terry Donahue lived in Westlake Village, as did most of his UCLA coaches. (Donahue also had a summer house on Balboa Island in Newport Beach, near his brother. That was when Donahue was the highest-paid state employee in California.) If you can pick your travel time, the 101 isn't all that bad.

For the USC coaches, there were some in Palos Verdes. Sark grew up in Torrance so he knew the area. Pasadena also housed some, including Pat Haden (the allure of the Rose Bowl). USC owned a house in San Marino (an exclusive town next to Pasadena) for its president to live in. The current president, Carol Folt, wanted to live in Santa Monica, so they sold the San Marino place and bought her something like an $11M starter home in Santa Monica.

MileHigh and Huggy like this.
  2. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

Man, we loved Balboa. I could very easily spend the rest of my afternoons outside drinking beer and watching the world go by in the harbor at Newport Landing.

ChrisLong likes this.
  3. Hermes

Hermes Well-Known Member

“Your drum is too big for my visiting tunnel.”

2muchcoffeeman and Batman like this.
  4. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

Maybe they can hoist it into the stadium with a scissor lift.

HanSenSE, Cosmo, mpcincal and 5 others like this.
  5. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

6. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

It helps having lived there for three decades and it's easy to pick up which ways to go and where places are at. Even now when I go back (I've been gone for all of 14 months since 2000) to visit family, I pick up on it immediately.

maumann likes this.
  7. maumann

maumann Well-Known Member

Southern Californians discuss freeways. Northern Californians discuss wine like they all got degrees in viticulture.

"This is Stag's Leap '15 cabneret, right?"
    "No, it's the '14."
    "But I'm detecting a hint of raspberry and cinnamon."
    "That was the '13. The '15 has more of a black cherry with a smoky finish."
    "Oh, yes. More like V. Sattui's '17."
    "Well, they had to pick quickly that year because of leaf roll disease, so I don't know if they are comparable. I think you're thinking more along the line of Artesa's '12."
    "Didn't that have more of a tobacco/honey nose?"

And then there's the one guy ...

"Stag's Leap? Geez! Why don't you just serve deer piss instead? I'm not drinking any second-rate crap from Napa. Vinasa and Gloria Ferrer won five gold medals at the California State Fair. Plus, you're serving game hens with roasted grape mostarda! Everyone knows you pair that with a nice Sauvignon Blanc!"

8. Jake from State Farm

Jake from State Farm Well-Known Member

Then there’s Fred Sanford
    “Champagne and Ripple. I call it Chapipple.”

HanSenSE, swingline, Matt1735 and 3 others like this.
  9. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Screw Notre Dame. The band should bring the drum and set it up outside Brian Kelly's house.

10. Hermes

Hermes Well-Known Member

Me before going to Ross Ade Stadium: “It’s just a big, stupid drum. Who cares?”

Me, like a four-year old, five seconds after seeing the drum up close: “Look at it! It’s a really big drum! And they’re jumping to hit it!”

I’m like a golden retriever puppy when it comes to corny college football traditions.

11. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

Songbird and Justin_Rice like this.
  12. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I imagine there might be a few College Game Day signs about the drum. Really a disgrace since it's celebrating its 100th anniversary and the sport prides itself on tradition and such. If I were a domer going to the game I'd be kind of ticked off I wouldn't see it.

Draft saved Draft deleted