1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

College football Week 3 thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Cosmo, Sep 13, 2021.

1. Brooklyn Bridge

Brooklyn Bridge Well-Known Member

UConn tells coaching staff they are persona non grata. Not surprising, but you’d at least think they would wait till the end of the season.

2. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

There are exceptions. Bad calls happen to every team. Miss St. got the short end that time.

I'm speaking from what I have seen as a general rule for years. I will freely admit a certain degree of prejudice on my own part - but I guarantee you that it happens.

3. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Never have I ever heard a fan of a team in the league say “Thank God we’ve got SEC refs for this game.” We think they suck too. Shoot I used to go to church with Mark Curles and I still don’t think he’s qualified to call anything above middle school football, even if he is a nice guy.

4. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Why are officials tied to conferences anyway? You don't have "NFC" and "AFC" officials. Seems like it would make more sense to just regionalize them. Let someone based in Atlanta do the Georgia-South Carolina game one week and the Clemson-Georgia Tech game the next.

BitterYoungMatador2 and MileHigh like this.
  5. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Because you've got more than 100 schools playing and you can't have just one coordinator of officials for the whole thing, watching every game, every play. They did more regionalization last year with the pandemic, though.

6. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

If you want a good read from a ref's point of view, which also explains why guys are where they are in the football food chain, check out "Sidelines and Bloodlines" by ESPN's Ryan McGee and his ref Dad, Jerry.

7. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

Everyone thinks their refs suck. I submit that SEC refs are better than most. If they make a bad call on your team, they suck, but trust me, watch the refs on a C-USA game or two. They're well down the food chain.

8. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

You're just looking for consistency week to week on PI and other judgement calls like targeting.

9. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Late in the MNF broadcast, Pat McAfee asked Peyton where Arch Manning was going and Peyton said his nephew committed to West Virginia. Apparently, West Virginia is not even recruiting Arch and Peyton was probably joking/trolling the West Virginia alum McAfee although he sold it very well.
    Peyton has no idea of the shit storm he just set off, and the sleepless night he just created for dozens of recruiting geeks and Rivals writers around the country.

10. LanceyHoward

LanceyHoward Well-Known Member

The administration of college sports, like many thins, turns into a power struggle. In college sports the power is concentrated in the conferences. The NCAA in Indianapolis has relatively little power, in part because of the NCAA's sheer ineptitude, though there are other reasons. So the conferences do not want to give up the power of controlling there own officials.

Draft saved Draft deleted