1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

College football Week 3 thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Cosmo, Sep 13, 2021.

1. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Tulsa and Boise aren't bad, but I don't think they're that great either. Boise is not the G5 standard bearer it was a few years ago.

2. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Here is my uncle (dad's brother) watching his grandson get TV face time yesterday. That's the head coach over his left shoulder.

Mitch had been getting a lot of action on defense but tweaked an ankle last week. He started this game on special teams but played a good portion of the 2nd half on defense.

Tulsa gave 'em a battle. It was 27-20 with 3 minutes to go before Bucky scored a TD then added a pick-6 to make it look worse than it was.

[​IMG]

3. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

Scoping out the Sagarins just now and was surprised by two things at the bottom: One, that Butler fielded an FCS football team; and two, that the UNRATED TEAM still existed. What is the purpose of that, to balance equations somehow?

4. maumann

maumann Well-Known Member

Half of Sagarin's top 20 teams already have one loss. Two of those -- Ohio State and Clemson -- are in his top five. It's not really parity if the same five playoff teams show up over and over, but I don't get the feeling anybody is a solid lock to remain unbeaten.

Notre Dame -- maybe -- which is why Wisconsin needs to show up big on Saturday. If not, there's always Cincinnati on the 2nd. Alabama has a favorable schedule until the Iron Bowl (and Georgia's is just ridiculously easy with the exception of the Cocktail Party) but nobody else shown me any indication that they won't stumble at least once by the end of November.

I think at least three spots, maybe all of them, will come down to "best loss." Clemson could easily go 11-1 with a neutral site loss to Georgia, but the ACC is a mess. Ohio State's loss at home to Oregon doesn't hurt so bad if the Ducks win the Pac-12, which is also a mess. The Big 10 will beat each other up. Same with the Big XII.

5. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

Oregon's starting QB did not play in the second half yesterday after tweaking his neck (apparently). Two freshmen played in a walkover over Stony Brook, game management against an outclassed FCS opponent.

They say the starter should be back, and there's no reason not to believe them. But you never know. Luckily they play Arizona at home next week and Arizona is god-awful. Sumlin ruined that program.

6. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

They really went there with it.

7. swingline

swingline Well-Known Member

That girl was good.

heyabbott likes this.
  8. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

If I’m Notre Dame, I’d do exactly what they do, sign a contract with a national broadcasting outlet, and schedule as few road games as possible. 12 game season, 4 road games. Calling playing Wisconsin in Chicago a road game is maybe half right. Chicago isn’t technically in Notre Dame,Indiana(89 miles) or Madison, Wisconsin (141 miles). But it wont be a true road game, will it?

It’s rare for a road team to beat a ranked opponent on the road. But when was the last time NotreDame did it in the regular season?

9. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

Last year. Irish beat No. 19 North Carolina in Chapel Hill on Nov. 27.

heyabbott likes this.
  10. UPChip

UPChip Well-Known Member

Even after their one conference year, aren't they locked into a rotation of a handful of ACC opponents as something of a tax for playing in the league for the other sports?

11. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

Yes. I believe they have to play four ACC opponents a year. Some years they'll play more. They have five on the schedule this year, six in 2023.

12. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

Three from the UAB game. NT with twelve men on the field. Ever see a guy running off the field when the coach yells to fake an injury and stop the clock? This may be the worst one of those you'll ever see. The sideline thing they're talking about is that the same guy had just gotten flagged for a late hit out of bounds.

Our tight end is faster than North Texas' defensive backfield. 6'6", 240 TE Gerrit Prince, three catches, 141 yds, 2 TD's. Couple of nice WR blocks downfield.

Won't see this often. Trick play, QB out as a receiver. Bad throw, about to be intercepted. QB picks up an offensive pass interference, and lucky it wasn't a personal foul. He just ragdolls the guy

Last edited: Sep 20, 2021
Draft saved Draft deleted