1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

College football Week 2: There's so much we can do

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Mystery Meat II, Sep 6, 2011.

1. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Stunning, eh?

Amazing considering how just 4 or 5 years ago how bad FIU was. They are for real. That wide receiver is for real.

2. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

T.Y. Hilton is going to make some NFL team deliriously happy someday soon.

Meanwhile, it's going ham in Tempe. Are Fridays becoming the new Thursdays?

3. da man

da man Well-Known Member

There is no such thing as bad publicity.

-- P.T. Barnum (well, supposedly)

4. Key

Key Well-Known Member

I agree...It's better to have people talking about you than not talking about you.

5. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Just spell the name right.

6. doubledown68

doubledown68 Active Member

Couple of things about the debacle in Tempe last night...
    1. James Franklin has the stuff.
    2. The PI call that set up ASU's last TD of regulation was fucking horseshit. Textbook position, textbook knockdown, and the refs fucking bailed them out. Horseshit.
    3. Gary Pinkel -- who has gotten Mizzou to a level not seen since the late 1960's -- proved while he'll be retiring in Columbia. To wit:
    -- The decision to throw the ball on third down of the last possession in regulation was idiotic. Run the fucking ball, turn a 48-yarder into a 45-yarder (or less), and kick it with three seconds left on the clock.
    -- The decision to ice his own kicker TWICE was even more fucking idiotic. Shit, Ressel was so jumpy he damn near false started on the second of three lineup attempts.
    -- Not double-covering the dude with 2 million yards receiving on the third down play in overtime was pretty fucking stupid.
    -- And finally, I'm glad they called a timeout before the fourth down play in OT to draw up that piece of shit.

Grant Ressel absolutley should've made the kick at the end of regulation. No question there. But it's the coaching staff's job to make the kick as easy as possible by making it as short as possible and letting him get out there in rhythm. If ASU wanted to fuck with that, let 'em. That's their job.

The only encouraging thing is that Mizzou might be able to keep it to less than 21 points in Norman in two weeks. Maybe. OU is gonna go all Sam Bradford on them.

7. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

M$U can't go two snaps without a flag. Ugggh.

8. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

Which, in 50 years, will cause a major headache to league historians.

9. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

While I as watching last night I didn't think there was any way in hell Pinkel called the second timeout, so when the official announced it was timeout Missouri, I was shocked and confused. I was still surprised he missed it though.

There was no doubt they were going to call pass interference on that play. Contact was minimal, but if you have one hand on the shoulder, the ball hits the other and you never make the slightest attempt to turn around and look for the ball, you're going to get a flag every time. Now personally, I don't really get why you aren't allowed to face gaurd like that, but you aren't.

10. doubledown68

doubledown68 Active Member

That's just it though. He wasn't face guarding. The ASU receiver saw the ball the whole way. The only thing that prevented him from catching it was that it was knocked down.

Now, if the MU defender had both hands up and was facemask-to-facemask with the receiver, that's one thing. But if the only thing that makes makes it not a PI is a slight turn of the head, then it's not fucking PI. It's good defense.

I'm not remotely close to rational when discussing this, which shouldn't be a shock by now. But I still don't think it was PI.

11. TigerVols

If you play the tape back, after Pinkel calls two time outs to ice his own kicker, on the snap you can clearly hear Coach screaming:

Noonan! Noonan! Noonan!

[​IMG]

12. TigerVols

Mississippi State proving to be...Mississippi State.

Draft saved Draft deleted