1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

College football Week 2: There's so much we can do

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Mystery Meat II, Sep 6, 2011.

1. Put da money on South Carolina. Dem boys can play.

If you feelin' da hit with Penn State, ride it. You better know Bama ain't gonna be scared.

2. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Sore-eyed football fans aren't the only ones complaining about Maryland's uniforms from Monday:

http://www.baltimoresun.com/entertainment/music/midnight-sun-blog/bal-are-the-terps-new-helmets-too-much-like-to-those-by-charm-city-roller-girls-20110906,0,2734737.story

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  3. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

Could be. We're also getting the first Pac-12 conference games for Colorado (hosts Cal) and Utah (at USC).

I say the Utes have a better chance, even on the road.

4. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

The Cal-Colorado game is not a Pac-12 game. They were already scheduled to play but could not find a replacement game, so they will play but it will be treated as an OOC game and will not count in the league standings as a league game.

5. NickMordo

NickMordo Active Member

No, that's why the spreads are made the way they are. The oddsmakers are betting that all the Michigan fanboys will bet on Michigan, maybe take both the moneyline and the spread and risk more dough. After Notre Dame losing to USF, I bet even a lot of Irish fans (who think with their head and not their hurt) wouldn't touch this spread with a 10-foot pole.

6. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Also, there is just no easy money period in sports betting. The vig is a lot to overcome. You have to win about 53 percent of your bets. That doesn't sound like much, but play long enough and you will lose, UNLESS you are like Billy Walters or someone else with access to info week in and week out and the kind of money and reputation it takes to move a line just to bet the other side (bet a million one way and then when the line moves go back and bet 3 million the other way). Point spreads aren't 100 percent efficient. So they can be beat. But most people don't have a "system" for doing it consistently.

7. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

My bad. Thanks for the correction.

I still like the Bears over the Buffs, non-conference or not.

8. NickMordo

NickMordo Active Member

And the ones with no real system or strategy more often than not end up losing a lot more than they envision, ha.

9. doubledown68

doubledown68 Active Member

I'm not liking Mizzou's chances at ASU. Franklin looked mediocre at best, and my guess is it'll take a whole hell of a lot more than 17 points to win on Friday night. We shall see though.

10. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

I'd honestly say it if I thought PSU was in for a beatdown. But I have a feeling about this one.

The feeling is the same as when Paterno teams have had a long break to prepare for a bowl (I know, I know ... Florida last year). But there's that, and the fact that this just might be an outstanding Penn State defense. A couple of things have to fall together for them to realize it, most notably the DEs maturing as they should have a year or two ago (this means you, Jack Crawford). But it's a Linebacker U. kind of year (Michael Mauti, Gerald Hodges). And the defensive backfield is stocked with veterans.

Could 'Bama handle this like men playing against boys, just like last year? Possibly. But last year wasn't played in white-out conditions, either. And I think everyone's been sort of waving their hand in the direction of the Nits when they should be taken a little more seriously.

11. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

This year's Alabama defense is even better than last year's, and might be as good as the one in '09 by the time it's all over. Courtney Upshaw (No. 41) is the best pass-rusher the Tide has had in a long, long time.

Bama has quarterback issues of its own, but I just don't see how Penn State scores enough points to win against this defense.

12. Hank_Scorpio

Hank_Scorpio Active Member

So that means Della will FINALLY give Auburn their proper unranking in the SportsJournalists.com poll?

Draft saved Draft deleted